Homes for Hedgehogs

I have an allotment and although I have never seen any hedgehogs during the day( I don't garden at night) I wonder if it is possible to introduce them to the site even if there are none there at the moment>

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    I don't know that it's legal to introduce them as that would mean kidnapping them forme elsewhere.  However, you could certainly set up a hedgehog friendly environment and some shelter and then hope one or two come along and set up breeding pairs or you could contact a wildlife hospital in your area and suggest your site as a possible location for re-homing hedgehogs ready to be released.

Have a look at this website as it is full of useful info - https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/ and there's a thread here you may care to read to glean more info - https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/993170/help-save-the-hedgehogs-part-ii/p1 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Like Obelixx, I don't think you can actually " kidnap" them however well intentioned you are :)
    Do you have a local Wildlife Trust or a Hedgehog rescue place near you ?  You could get some info and advice from either source.
    Also would pay you to check with other allotment holders before going any further - do they make use of slug pellets and would they welcome the hogs roaming about as you would not be able to confine them to your allotment only.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,955
    Hello Colin, welcome to the forum :)
    As others have said, "kidnapping" hedgehogs,  even with the very best of intentions,  will only cause them undue stress. However, hedgehogs seem to have an uncanny instinct for finding suitable places to visit. My main concern would be the use of slug pellets by other plot holders, and possibly netting etc that they may get caught up in.
    It may be worth speaking up at any plot holders meetings you have to get as many on board as possible, also some info here.
    https://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/wildlife-gardening-on-allotments/
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 947
    edited 7 November
    Hi Colin 
    As others have commented on here you need to make your garden hedge hog friendly. I have a few Hogs visit my garden this time of year. This has been encouraged by me building a hedgehog home using untreated timber. There are guidelines for dimensions of the house but the main requirement is that it has a tunnel fixed to the box to stop any predators gaining access. Also position you hog house in a quite, covered part of the garden as so to protected it from adverse weather.
    I have mine situated under an old damson tree that provides an abundance of falling leaves for them to make their bedding and protected from weather by a large Hypericum shrub. If you have fencing then dig a hole underneath the fence so the Hogs can find access to your garden and go out to find food and drink. I leave cat food and dish of water no far from the hog home 
    Good luck and hope you get some hogs