Forum home Plants

Confederate Jasmine not growing as well as expected

Ana9Ana9 Hooton, CheshirePosts: 21
Hi, I have a jasmine that was planted approximately 2 years ago, which is growing very slowly when it was my expectation that it should once established grow between 3-6' per year.  Has anyone else had this problem, I'd planted it to part screen a fence and it's really not doing that great a job at the moment!  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,384
    Could be that it is not 'established' yet.
    A lot may be going on underground so that it looks like nothing is happening but is really just getting settled in.
    I have plants that seem to do nothing for ages and then suddenly they really get going!!
    A little more patience is needed I think  :)
    (Gardeners are known for it!)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,070
    They aren't reliably hardy everywhere in the UK, so it may simply be that your site and conditions doesn't suit it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,710
    I agree with @Fairygirl ... it maybe that it’s struggling up in the northwest ...
    https://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/plants/trachelospermum-jasminoides_confederate-jasmine_94.html
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi @Ana9 I just googled confederate jasmine and realised it was 

Trachelospermum jasminoides

also known as Star Jasmine.

I put up wires for support on south facing garden fences and planted two of these (a white one and a yellow variety) about 14 months ago. I was also expecting a little more this summer but alas they are both still on the bottom wires and not filling the fences with fragrant blooms as i had hoped! I'm relieved that someone else is questioning the speed of the growth, as i thought i had somehow done something wrong when planting these.

Hopefully as @madpenguin has suggested something more is going on underground and we will eventually get something more like we had hoped in a season or two. Again it sounds as if i need to work on my patience! 
    :D

Good luck with them! 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,950
    Mine has also been slow to get going (it's on a south facing fence, rather dry soil). I have planted another but this time in the shade, and it seems a little happier. But I think 3-6ft of growth per year was always a bit optimistic.
  • Ana9Ana9 Hooton, CheshirePosts: 21
    Hi @Fairygirl and @Dovefromabove I am inclined to go with what you’ve both said especially after seeing the info in the link that you kindly supplied.  I shall look into the other variety that is more suited for my location  :)
    Assuming it was a decent sized, healthy plant, and was planted appropriately, it should have been well established by now @Ana9.

• Ana9Ana9 Hooton, CheshirePosts: 21
    @Fairygirl it’s definitely well established the only thing that makes sense is the variety for the location, I shall however think of moving it to the other side of the garden that gets slightly more sunshine ☀️ 
    Might be worth trying  :)