Forum home Problem solving

Acer Plant Struggling?

• Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 123
    Thank you Joy. I do keep it watered but it has struggled for several months and just when I think it’s recovering, it changes for the worse again! I will add more soil, as suggested, but do I need to trim the dead-looking bits & should I still add acer food now? By the way, I don’t know what the 3 white patches are on the stem & branches - any ideas? The lower part if the stem when scraped is still green but some of the top branches are not.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,481
    I dont know where you are in the country but certainly here in N London a lot of my Acers were doing fine even in the hot weather but then those gales force winds really hammered them. That said most still have leaves but they are looking very crinkly and dry at the edges. Do you get vine weevil ? as Acers in pots are a target for them so I would check that. Acers have very fine roots & don't want to be too deep. It is a bit early for them to have lost all leaves now but as we often say "it's been a funny old year weather wise".  The good news is if it is still growing then you will get a nice lot of new leaves in spring.
    AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,053
    edited 7 September
    Is this the same Acer from the original post?
    It shouldn't look like that at this time of year, regardless of where you are.
    Certainly don't feed it, but sort the soil level, without covering the graft point.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes, it is the same Acer as in the original post and it has been a struggle to keep this plant going. I haven’t checked for vine weevil as I thought I should not disturb it in its pot any further but should I in order to check if it is affected? I am on the south coast and will add more soil but should I also prune the dead bits too?
    It's very unhappy as it is. You could cut back anything completely dead, but I doubt there would be much left. I don't think it's weevil damage, but nothing to lose by looking
    If you get a lot of salty winds, that won't have helped it, but I think that's too far gone for anything to help. 

Thanks Fairygirl for all your advice and for taking the time to reply.
    No problem @Lynn142, but I think that if that hadn't leafed up properly, earlier this year, it was never going to recover. 
    I think it may have suffered too badly last year, so it was always going to struggle.  :/

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 556
    Hi Lynne. Don't feed it, that would be a recipe for disaster! If you want to, you could trim the very thin dead bits off. They are die back and it's not uncommon. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you. If all else fails, I bought one from Tesco which has done extremely well! They sell them around Easter, or when they have got their leaves.
    Thanks Joy for the advice & I will try the trimming you suggested but if it doesn’t recover (🤞), then I will keep a check on another in Tesco. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,481
    I agree with others sometimes you just have to admit defeat. I confess we have over a dozen Acers at home, (no it's not a big garden) some in pots some in the ground most are ok but a few years ago we had a green leaved disectum one which was never happy. First in a pot, then in the ground it always struggled no matter what we did, eventually gave up. There are many cultivars and some are more robust than others, we have one "bloodgood" in a pot right by a south facing kitchen door, in theory the worst possible place. It not only has it got  all it's leaves but there's not a crinkly edge in sight, another different cultivar in the ground, sheltered spot grows well,  getting bigger every year but by this time of year it's leaves are getting very brown & dry.  Sometimes there is just no rational explanation for what plants do.
    AB Still learning