Acer Plant Struggling?

Does this plant need to be pruned and does its condition look to be alright? It is still in the pot it came in last year so does it need to be repotted maybe? 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 529
    Acer is a tree not a climber so restricting it against a trellis and in a small pot isn't helping,  
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 407
    Agree with K67.
    Your pot does look a little on the small side too - acers do not like drying out.
    Lastly, if it isn’t sited somewhere sheltered without cold winds blasting it and possibly too much sun (for a green leaved variety), the leaves can become scorched.

🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Yup - needs to be removed from that trellis and rleeased form captivity, or at least, in a suitable spot depending on the garden.
    If you're potting on, make sure you don't make it too much bigger a size. Acers don't appreciate that, especially going into a wetter time of year. 
    It may be quite dry too- sites next to wall tend to be a rain shadow, and rian doesn't reach them properly. Again, that depends on the aspect.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,981
    It's a case of wrong plant, wrong place I'm afraid.  remove that trellis and free those stems than give the plant a thorough soak in its pot to make it easier to lift out and re-pot.  Give it a pot that is sligtley wider and deeper but not more than a few inches and make sure you use a good John Innes no 3 copost mixed with some ericaceous compost.  Plant at the same depth as before and water well.   

Keep it in semi shade and out of biting and drying winds.  Water regularly from next spring when new foliage appears and especially thru hot and dry spells next year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 44
    Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions to improve this acer - we hadn’t realised the trellis would restrict its development.
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 44
    Following suggestions from yourselves, we removed the trellis, replanted the acer (at the front of photo) into a bigger pot in ericaceous soil and put it in the greenhouse where it still gets light and is protected. We also pruned the dead sections up to a new bud (as on burncoose.co.uk - dealing with dieback video) but the leaves had already gone very dry and most have fallen off. Does this plant look alright now or does it still need some TLC or do we need to just keep our fingers crossed?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    I wouldn't put it in a greenouse. It should be outside  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,993
    Yes Acers need a period of cold to go properly dormant for the winter, remember where they come from (China & the mountains of Japan). It will sprout a lovely new set of leaves next spring.
    AB Still learning

• Rik56Rik56 Posts: 25
    I have Acer "Bloodgood" in a large terracotta pot which I leave outside during winter - however I do fleece it during the coldest months (I'm in Lancashire)