Forum home Plants

Why don't more people grow from seed? That's what i would like to know!!!!!!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    When I first started gardening seriously I would prick out every last germinated seedling. Now I just keep what I need and compost the rest  :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Lyn said:
    You and me both Punkdoc, I’ve got plants now that will be ready for the bin next Spring. 
    I  haven’t got room for anymore in the garden, but I do sometimes just pull out something I’m fed up with and put something new in. 
    There again, I could just dig up another border. Far too much grass here. 
    Most perennials I just sow about 10 seeds. For 99p it’s still worth it even if I only want 2/3.  It’s also more satisfying than buying them, I want plants I’ve  grown. 
    And you always have some spares to give away.  ;)
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    I do , too many t the moment 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GrasslyGrassly BucksPosts: 60
    edited 4 October
    An old thread I know but lots of interesting views here. I've just this weekend sown seeds for the first time, sweetpeas. it was so satisfying and enjoyable getting all the preparation done, filling the little pots and plonking the seeds in, the idea of now watching for seedlings to come through is truly exciting!
    I don't know why I have always avoided doing seeds except to say I think I was a little afraid...too hard, will take too much time, I'll get it wrong etc etc. I'm now kicking myself for not starting to do this sooner rather than buying plugs and ready formed plants and from now on I will certainly start from seed, it's more of a journey surely and exciting to see what will happen, not to mention cheaper. Edited this  to say I'm sure I will still do a bit of buying small plants as I may well end up with too much if I try and do seeds entirely (that's if they actually grow!)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,058
    ...because seed can be a pain in the butt to grow from if you don't have a greenhouse and daily time and attention to tend to it. They take space, on the whole.
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 555
    I will be buying more seeds this season. First, because plants are getting more and more expensive (1.59 for a small petunia in my local GC this spring, and I don't expect them to make it cheaper in the years to come). And second reason, to make sure I have the plants I like and want for my garden next summer - who knows, how that situation with the lockdown will develop.
    The choice of plants in our GC this summer was probably 1/3 of what they normally have, for obvious reasons, hopefully they will be back to normal, but if not, I would like to have a plan B.  ;)
    Surrey
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 601
    I too was a hesitant seed-grower, but I started with stuff that I read was "easy" (cosmos, eg) and gained confidence. I have grown more and more each year, and never tire of the the thrill of watching them pop up!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,164
    Seed growing has always been hit and miss for me. Either too good, masses of sweet peas ready too early, or failure like cherry toms this year.
    I grow in the conservatory and each year have three grow bag trays full of plants, I really don't have room for more. So now I try to cut to a minimum what I sow, only doing the best of flavour veg, most used or an odd experiment. 
    Next year I would like to try mini munch Cucumbers,  but their seeds are £3 for six, not cheep in my eyes and so few that there is a chance of failure,  not acceptable when space is restricted. 
    This year was difficult as more had to be grown from seed, so fewer flowers were started in preference to veg, and I can see the same happening again this coming season.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 244
    Hi

I do grow some from seed, some I buy. My reason is that I work full time and have a family so I dont have much spare time. If I had more time, I would certainly grow much more from seed.

This year has bucked my seed planting trend. I worked all through lockdown but my hours were adjusted which was beneficial to me, starting earlier in a morning and finishing earlier in the day and no weekends 😁 I had surplus plants which I passed on to friends and relatives, which was gratefully received.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,589
    I grow as much as I can with just windowsills, a small cold frame, and the shelves from a blowaway in a sheltered spot against the house wall (the cover got ripped to shreds, and it's much less likely to blow away in a gale without it anyway), all of which have to be shared with cuttings. This year tomatoes, cucumbers which grew fine but later got slugged or snailed, 2 types of lobelia for baskets, some morning glory, some nasturtiums, and a few types of perennials. Foxgloves sown in pots failed but there are loads of self-sown ones growing in the tomato buckets so I'll be rescuing those later. Surplus get given away.