Forum home Plants

Why don't more people grow from seed? That's what i would like to know!!!!!!

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
    Same here @Dovefromabove

I grow food and flowers from seed, have done for years.

I now have greenhouse and garden envy.....
  • Same as Obelixx and PapiJo - few on here would be unwilling to complete a rational and relevant survey - sadly these examples are neither IMO.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,714
    Yes Minister on the dark arts of survey design

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
  • I love growing things from seed, I just love growing things. But it isn't always easy, even after years of experience, to get things right - right soil, right amount of water, heat and light, especially with our changeable weather. Some seeds are easy, others need special treatments and I'm not always successful.
    I grow all sorts from seed, both edibles and decorative. In early spring I set up my propagator in my bedroom, so I can look at what has popped up overnight, and commandeer all the south facing upstairs windowsills for seed trays, except one for my dahlias. There are peas and beans of various kinds (it's fun to experiment), cabbage family, courgettes, as well as sweet peas and other flowers for the garden or greenhouse.
    They all have to be potted up individually which takes time and space, and be kept safe until it is warm enough to plant them outside. Even now, at the start of winter, there are loads of plants in my greenhouse for protection from the winter weather, which can be vicious here. By April it will barely be possible to squeeze inside to water and care for them, and the cold frame will be full too, as well as all those windowsills.
    I've got the space, no-one to please but myself and happy to admit to being mad as a hatter, but not everyone has the time or the space or the freedom to do what I do, even if they would like to, and as others have said, there are lots of other obstacles to getting to the end result of an edible crop.
    It does give me enormous pleasure when things work out well though :)
    This is what I want for my future being!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    Hexagon said:
    This year I grew tomatoes and spring onions from seed and the results were rubbish.
    I grew a sunflower from seed too, now I have loads of seeds for next year.
    I don't buy plant seeds because they are too expensive for too much effort. 200 seeds for £1.59? I don't need 200 plants, I don't have 200 pots so unless I fancy going to a car boot sale to sell all the plants for a profit, I don't see the point. I'm too impatient to wait for something to grow big enoug to fill a space in my borders.
    I only ever pay 99p post free for a packet of seeds. I sow about 100 different lots a year, in small rice/yogurt pots, about 10 - 15 seeds per pot. You don’t have to sow the whole packet.  The plants work out to a penny or so each, depending on how many I sow.

I made a new border this year, seeds sown in mid March planted out in May.
    the hydrangea wasn’t from a seed, that’s a cutting. 
    It’s lovely once you get into it, growing something from nothing is so worth it. 

this was in the summer.

This was a couple of weeks ago. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,329
    Growing flowers from seed is good if there is a large area to cover. I often need only one plant or maybe three. It's easier to buy one 9cm potted plant and do cuttings to get another one or two.
    It really all depends on the scale of gardening. It would be crazy to buy 20+ 2l plants, each one for close to £10. But it would be also crazy to buy seeds to grow a single plant.
  • I can understand your reasoning edhelka, although I do enjoy the challenge of growing plants from seeds.  Anyremaining germinated plants after I have planted some in our garden are either passed on to friends, given to a charity for a fayre or garden sale or sold in our honesty box, we don't waste anything here if we can help it.
  • edhelka said:
    Growing flowers from seed is good if there is a large area to cover. I often need only one plant or maybe three. It's easier to buy one 9cm potted plant and do cuttings to get another one or two.
    It really all depends on the scale of gardening. It would be crazy to buy 20+ 2l plants, each one for close to £10. But it would be also crazy to buy seeds to grow a single plant.
    Depends on how you wish to do it - if you are only looking for a single plant and can purchase it, all well and good.
    With any luck, you rarely get just 1 seed which germinates from a packet and as GD says above, extras can usually find a home in your neighbourhood or further afield.
    Many gardeners enjoy producing plants from a seed if possible - makes it slightly more personal than purchasing someone else's efforts.
    Each to their own I think :)  
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,475
    This might sound terrible, but i often grow something new from seed, on a whim, find I have nowhere to plant it and just compost the plants.
    Am I a murderer? 
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    You and me both Punkdoc, I’ve got plants now that will be ready for the bin next Spring. 
    I  haven’t got room for anymore in the garden, but I do sometimes just pull out something I’m fed up with and put something new in. 
    There again, I could just dig up another border. Far too much grass here. 
    Most perennials I just sow about 10 seeds. For 99p it’s still worth it even if I only want 2/3.  It’s also more satisfying than buying them, I want plants I’ve  grown. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.