Forum home Plants

Why don't more people grow from seed? That's what i would like to know!!!!!!

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Bargain!
    SW Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,790
    My cosmos seeds were free with this magazine ... they grew in a few pence worth of MPC  ...  they bloomed for months ... some are still blooming ... now that’s a bargain 😎  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,857
    Same here @Dovefromabove

I grow food and flowers from seed, have done for years.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • My goodness @Busy-Lizzie, that really is tidy !  
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 891
    Grow veg from seeds, other plants like flowers buy plants, as we don't grow enough to grow from seed, and then only perennials,  veg does well with us, potatoes storing in the shed onions stored in the glasshouse, all the rest eaten as they become available, except for leeks still in the ground and parsnips they will be lifted and eaten when wanted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,993
    I thought I had deja vu. It would have been more sensible only to post this once @hannahmburrage, especially as you've also posted it on a thread which is about a very useful plant supplier many people here use. 
    Like @philippa smith2, I started it, but lost the will to go any further because of the rather odd assortment of plant suggestions etc. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have filled in the survey - anything to be helpful, passing on my knowledge where necessary - I agree that some of the questions are barely relevant, but remember this student is possibly a young person who has no experience of hands on gardening and hoped our forum would provide them with some answers. 
    I grow veggies and flowering plants, some shrubs and trees from seed if at all possible.  My germination success rate is quite low, and I am always keen to learn, isn't that the whole point of this forum?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    I agree with GD, :) 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,840
    In theory, so do I but students need to learn the value of prparatory research before launching a questionnaire for more research.  The wrong questions or badly formed questions will only elicit wrong answers which will lead to useless results.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,695
    I agree with @Obelixx. Most of those student surveys are badly designed and I doubt that the results will be of any use. Don't those students have teachers who can teach them the art of survey designing? 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).