Forum home Plants

Allium sphaerocephalon

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,230
Hi all, I've just seen now is the time sow 

Allium sphaerocephalon seeds. We've grown these from bulbs for a few years and they have always made a fantastic display. Didn't realise you could get the seeds or grow from seeds at home (I am a total beginner and only started 2 years ago). Has anyone done this, was it successful ? We have an acre garden so I'm mad keen to propagate as much as I can to save costs, I have about 1000 plants growing on for next spring planting all from seeds and cuttings.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,292
    edited October 2019
    They self seeded in my last garden and I would take the grass like babies and grow them on in deeper seed trays and pots.   This was in the last 2 or 3 years before we moved so I never did see them mature to flowering size but it's easy enough to do.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,818
    I grow them, but I usually buy some bulbs,and while faffing around, I find tiny ones which I just keep with the bigger ones. The bed most of mine are in has been disturbed a couple of times due to building work, so it may be a while before I see any proper seedlings that I can use elsewhere. 
    The squirrels get so many of the little bulbs though, that if they get a chance to seed around that would be a good result!
    Definitely worth trying if you have the time and facilities to go for it. It's expensive filling a big plot if you don't do some seeds and cuttings  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,230
    Thanks fairygirl and Obelixx, think I'll stick with bulbs waiting all that time isn't really what I want from that type of plant 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,818
    You can get them very cheaply @Wilderbeast, especially if you buy in bulk, and they're very reliable.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• granmagranma Posts: 1,914
    They take quite a while from seed