TRICK OR TREATERS

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    No little sods I'm miserable
    PeggyTX said:
    We had very few Trick-or-Treaters the last two years, but this year we had about 100 or so.   I just wasn't in the mood this year so my husband did all the sweets distributing at the door.   Here in the States, the habit of going door to door has been waning for instead big Halloween parties at local churches and schools.  Parents figure that is safer I suppose. 
    Some of the children over here can go to far. A local guy said trick to some kids and shut the door in their faces, he went out this morning and something has been poured all over his lawn ? Maybe bleach or weedkiller 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 830
    In Chicago a 15 year old shot a 7 year old trick or treater.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/02/boy-15-charged-chicago-halloween-shooting-seven-year-old-girl

What slightly baffles me are those who, earlier, said they live in small villages yet had 15/50 trick or treaters. In our small village there are only six children of primary school age and none called though they would have been most welcome. In 30 years of living in this house we have had trick or treaters just once.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539
    Some small villages are bigger than others 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AstroAstro Posts: 100
    Yes it's fantastic ☺😊
    We went out with my daughter and her school friends and had a lovely time. Many people had gone to a great effort to decorate up their houses and were very lovely to the children. The streets were a buzz with families and I felt a great sense of community, afterwards people took to Facebook to thank each other. 

There is often a lot of talk of society becoming less sociable, people being more withdrawn and children not playing out. There is also talk of parents making their children afraid of the outside world and filling them with fear of potential dangers. I personally think these type of occasions are great.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 590
    BenCotto said:
    In Chicago a 15 year old shot a 7 year old trick or treater.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/02/boy-15-charged-chicago-halloween-shooting-seven-year-old-girl

What slightly baffles me are those who, earlier, said they live in small villages yet had 15/50 trick or treaters. In our small village there are only six children of primary school age and none called though they would have been most welcome. In 30 years of living in this house we have had trick or treaters just once.
    I live in a hamlet of 62 people, 15 are young children.... 
  • Whilst I know this was a Halloween thread, it is close enough to 5th November to mention something my mother told me today.
    Her care worker had just left and was walking along the street to her next client .....a stationary car just ahead........no problem ..........suddenly the car's nearside window opened and a lit firework ( a rocket ) was tossed out on to the pavement just a foot or so ahead ........car took off and left this poor person in a state of shock but luckily unharmed.
    Fireworks can make a dazzling display but rather like the Trick or Treaters, there's always a few idiots on the loose at this time of year. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 830
    That’s amazing, Helix.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 100
    Yes it's fantastic ☺😊
    Whilst I know this was a Halloween thread, it is close enough to 5th November to mention something my mother told me today.
    Her care worker had just left and was walking along the street to her next client .....a stationary car just ahead........no problem ..........suddenly the car's nearside window opened and a lit firework ( a rocket ) was tossed out on to the pavement just a foot or so ahead ........car took off and left this poor person in a state of shock but luckily unharmed.
    Fireworks can make a dazzling display but rather like the Trick or Treaters, there's always a few idiots on the loose at this time of year. 
    Yeah always a few to spoil it for the majority. That being said I think there are obvious dangers with fireworks ,and potential for serious injury when they aren't used correctly.

When I was a teen we used to buy them and somewhat  mess about with them, on reflection we were lucky and very stupid. I think they are better left to organised events nowadays.
  •  :) 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 590
    edited 4 November
    BenCotto said:
    That’s amazing, Helix.
    France is a still a pretty catholic country 😉😉......