Forum home Tools and techniques

Plant pot sizes

I have a system whereby I plant up a plastic pot which I then put inside a larger terracotta pot. I find it easier to swap plants around when they have finished flowering. I went round local garden centres trying to find replacement plastic pots but the sizes seed to differ. The ones I have used for years are black and measure 26cm across the top and 20cm high. The only ones I could find were 24cm high which would look silly sticking out of my terracotta pots. Anyone know where I can source some? I have looked online but they don't give measurements. Thanks.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,260
    I found these, which are this size according to the seller
     dimensions are as follows:

Diameter at the top = 25.5cm
    Height = 20.7cm
    Diameter at bottom = 18.8cm
    Volume 7.5L
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/26cm-litre-Round-Plant-Moulded/dp/B00J5ISZ1O
  • Thanks I will measure up tomorrow.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,652
    Hi @lucymartin36- I've done the same thing for many years, and I sometimes just cut the top off the plastic pots if they're a bit tall. That might work if you're stuck  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    I cut mine down too. I've also cut a slit down the side and overlapped the edges to make a pot more narrow if I can't find one to fit. It's a good way to use broken pots that would just get binned otherwise.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Never thought about cutting the pots to fit. Good idea. What do you use to cut?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    A stanley knife normally cuts through the flexible plastic pots easily (ask an adult to help you) but if the pot is more of a rigid plastic or has thick areas you might need to use a hacksaw blade. Sometimes you can just use scissors or garden shears.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Thanks