Forum home Plants

Salvia hot lips

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,986
    Sometimes it's just hit and miss @Red maple, and we can't control it too.  :/
    That's always annoying though, if you feel you've given a plant the best chance of survival.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,184
    I think @Fairygirl knows me too well @Red maple.
    I have lots of different salvias in my garden  but just can't abide the red/white combo of Hot lips.
    A friend gave my Husband one and I offered it to everyone  I know and nobody wanted it, so it went in the compost bin.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,430
    I leave my shrubby salvias outside. I'm near Doncaster so a wee bit further south than the York folks but probably not much different in terms of climate. The ones in pots I move against the house walls or behind the garage for a bit of shelter. The ones in the ground (sandy soil) just get left. All of them are pruned in spring when the new growth has started. I have probably a dozen or so varieties, but not hot lips - it's one of the few that I don't really like.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,387
    I have a salvia Hot Lips too - a gift - and much prefer it now when it is nearly all white.  I'd rather it was Amistad though but that, in the same bed, gave up after last winter which wasn't even hard for here.  I quite like Pineapple sage too but even with the extra warmth here it doesn't start flowering till late October and then needs moving into shelter so I got fed up and left it outside last winter.  No better than Amistad.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,430
    I have Amistad for the first time this year. The original plants are huge (and still flowering but we've had frost the last two nights so I expect they'll die back soon) so they'll take their chances staying in their big pots outside, but I have some babies from cuttings to overwinter indoors.