Forum home The potting shed

Spiders

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Thank you for letting me know @Fairygirl I never realised that any wild animals would actually prefer staying inside rather than hanging out in the garden. 
    What can they possibly eat inside? I remove spider webs regularly (though not as often as I should), and I never see any prey in them. How do those poor things survive?
     I still wouldn’t want those big black ones inside our house - would they survive in the shed?
    Take no notice of her mate. Them spiders are in the garden in the summer then come indoors for winter for shelter and looking for mate. As long as they have shelter a shed or entry will be fine 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,730
    @BirminghamMarc1972 I think @Fairygirl knows a bit more about care of spiders than someone who “sprays them and sucks them up the vac”
    I am no expert but I think many creatures which live outside happily in the summer would not survive a winter without shelter. I am happy to provide that shelter as without them we would be over run with flies, which I loathe! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,120
    They eat flies etc @Big Blue Sky and the males are basically looking for a young lady  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,415
    The 'daddy longlegs' spiders you find in the house are cellar spiders which like warm and dry conditions so don't do so well in the garden. They'll do ok in sheds and outbuildings though. They eat pretty much anything including other spiders and their own kind. Useful beasts to have around if you have a fungus gnat problem too.

The big house spiders that seem to come indoors for the winter are tegenaria spiders. The females live in sheltered places and indoors all year round but the males are outside in the summer. Cold weather will kill them though so don't just dump them outdoors in the winter with no shelter. The females will hold a web for 5 or 6 years if left undisturbed but the males only last a year. Interestingly though cellar spiders will catch and eat the tegenaria spiders.
  • Interestingly enough, having recently acquired my first cellar for many years, it's the only place where I don't have spiders.  Probably too full of stuff and very damp to boot.  I think they get as far as the Larder, peer down into the cellar and sensibly decide to stay where they are ;)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    At the moment we have about the same as usual I think, but we've had the inside all summer, which isn't normal. I leave them alone, but our cat seems to think they're toys for him to play with.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    My 20 year old daughter is petrified of spiders, the times I have to catch and release them from her bedroom. 

On the subject of cellar spiders, on visiting my sister at her then new home in Oxfordshire back in 1989, it was the first time I'd ever seen one. I live in Northamptonshire but the cellar spiders seem to have moved north because they're common here now.
  • Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 1,191
    This summer my fields were crowded with wasp spiders. They are common but this year they were on almost every plant. Do I need to say that I have slightly arachnophobia😨.

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,730
    How pretty! 
  • Fairygirl said:

@philippa smith2- I think youngest daughter would happily shove her granny out into the street  ;)

That is a very beautiful spider @Singing Gardener :)
    I can understand that - I'd have happily done the same with one of mine ;)  Short on Grannies here but I can think of another candidate ( and it doesn't have 8 legs..........tho on reflection........... :D

Both those Spider photos are wonderful - serious Spider envy here :):)