Raised Bed Design

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
I have 2 raised beds and the scaff boards need replacing which is manageable.

? Does anyone have a design for a RB where I can in the future slot in and out the  boards as they rot

I have got as far as considering driving 4 L shaped steel bars into the soil and slotting in the new boards but I am not technical.

? How do I keep them in position and stop them moving apart from the weight of the soil and rain water

I can knock you up a poem or a short story but Heavy Engineering is a struggle. !!.

:# 
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205
    You need to make end slots so you can slide your boards up and out and back in again.   Have a look at this link which shows slots for a compost bin with removable front slats and adapt the height of the posts and slots for your raised bed.  If yo think the boards will need extra support in the middle, just put in a simple post that stops them bulging out but isn't screwed to the planks.

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/322781498286022443/ 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • If you are a member of the secret garden run by gardeners world you can see a video on how to build a raised bed,there is plenty of videos for you to see,you want to be in the D I Y section,hop;e that will help.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    I have got as far as considering driving 4 L shaped steel bars into the soil and slotting in the new boards but I am not technical.

Done the first 2 and looks good for all for.

As an aside.

I went to the steel company and the lad was supposed to cut 4 x 4 foot lengths

he gave me the first one and I thought it was a bit short but I ASSUMED he knew what he was doing

When he brought me the second 3 foot length you could see the realisation dawn on his face.

His excuse was " I dont usually work in feet ".......priceless
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream