Forum home Plants

Sedum ID please

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,025
This is growing my mum’s garden. She says it has been there 40 years, but I think she used to have a hydrangea there and is getting confused. The large flower heads look much darker at a distance, less raspberry... 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,005
    Ice plant, used to be called Sedum spectabile but now it's called https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/159311/Hylotelephium-spectabile/Details
    Great source of nectar for butterflies and bees in the late summer and autumn. :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,025
    Hi @Dovefromabove, great, thanks, so no specific cultivar, just the bog standard Sedum Spectable? Sorry, can’t get on with Hylotelephium as a name! This one is definitely more burgundy than the pink shown in your link, do the colours vary?
    They do get darker as they age ... have a look at 'Autumn Joy'.  Mine is quite dark at the moment. 

I also have Sedum 'Abbeydore' which is quite dark, but the flower heads aren't as big as in your pic.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    Nollie said:
    so no specific cultivar?
    Very hard to tell apart generally. There are species, sub-species and hybrids and all have very common features. The teeth on the leaves look a bit pointed for spectabile so it could be one of the hybrids like Autumn Joy/Herbsefreude. You'd need to dissect a flower for further clues though.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    edited October 2019
    This is my Autumn Joy at the moment. 

Excuse the quick pic ... it’s raining out there 🌧 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,620
    Yours is remarkably slug damage free @Dovefromabove :D
    Mine have got virtually no leaves at all. 

There's one called Brilliant - but I think it's a bit paler than Autumn Joy.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It’s in the front border where the lupins and a hosta also seem to survive unscathed @Fairygirl ... I have found a big toad lurking in that bed a few times 😊 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,025
    Thanks everyone, and for the pic @Dovefromabove, it does look quite Autumn Joy-ish. Probably is that, as I don’t think there is a massive selection at mum’s local garden centre so it’s bound to be one fairly well-known.