Forum home Tools and techniques

Fertilising with Biochar

2»

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,624
    Fascinating @Allotment Boy win win if it works long-term
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233
    Biochar is an age old method for clearing brushwood and increasing fertility for food plants to grow.   It also helps fix carbon in the soil.

The chappy featured on Countryfile is a farmer whose second income comes from being a tree surgeon and he researched biochar - fancy charcoal - as a way of recycling one waste product to enhance the main activity.   It's a good soil improver but also improves the activity of good gut bacteria in his cattle so renders them less gassy but also, apparently, calms them down as they're more comfy. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,578
    I seem to recall Spillers Shapes dog biscuits including a black ‘charcoal’ one for ‘improving digestion’. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 986
    My neighbour was given charcoal tablets when he had digestive problems.
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 116

An outstanding nutrient fix, this enriched organic biochar fertiliser will ensure excellent results all year round with no chemical additives.   

Made in the UK and soil association approved, Carbon Gold are committed to locking carbon into the soil, and ensuring plants are free from chemical additives and it looks like no fertilizer required.
    From Marshall's catalogue, only £15 for 2.5kgs, a bargain.

I was taught to beware of a Greek bearing gifts and also snake oil salesmen.