Forum home Plants

Lifting annuals/ Perennial violas

harmonyharmony Posts: 298
Hi all, I have a wheelbarrow full of bedding plants (if anyone can name the yellow daisy like plant I would be grateful as i've forgotten what they are 😕). I have a couple of perennial evergreen viola's in separate small pots that I want to put in the wheelbarrow but the annuals are still looking good and this morning had a visiting butterfly so I am going to leave them till the frosts get them. Would the viola's be ok to transplant into the wheelbarrow when I take out the annuals or is it best to leave while spring. Thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,229
    Bumping this up a bit in the hope someone can advise, and confirm my guess that your yellow plant is bidens.  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,765
    edited October 2019
    I’ve always found violas do very well as winter bedding, standing up to harsh weather and bursting into flower in milder spells. 

If you’re not ready to plant them into their final positions just yet I’d simply pot them on and sit them in a sheltered spot outside ... they’ll be fine ... just do a slug patrol every so often. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,167
    Nice red admiral. Ours are long gone  :/
    The violas will be fine planted at any time from their pots, as long as the conditions are suitable for them. As they're going into a 'container' from pots, they will be more than happy.
    As Dove says - until then, just keep them ready and pot on if required  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....