Forum home The potting shed

Pelagonium care

I was going on holiday for 10 days so, in case there was a frost whilst away, I put my pelagoniums inside. It was put to me that I should pull the blinds down which I didn't want to do but, hey ho, reluctantly agreed.  On my return my lovely plants have turned yellow and in particular my prized variagated pelagonium!!  Thank you.Does anyone know if I can get the 'green' back or must I cut it hard back over winter and grow it on again next Spring?

• Pelargoniums generally benefit from a hard prune around this time of year. That way they will be easier to overwinter and will grow into nice plants by spring. I’ve pruned most of my plants (and I have around 50 varieties now) and they are on windowsills and in the conservatory. I’ve left some that were still flowering to enjoy in winter. 
  • Thank you pitter-patter for your reply.  I will definately try this.  I take it I cannot regain the green colour in the plant this year?
  • They don’t look too bad, but the yellow leaves will probably dry and you will end up with lots of bare stems. Are you going to keep them in a conservatory or do you have wide enough windowsills? I would prune them if they were mine.
  • I shall keep them in the room they are in, in the photo, over the winter and then they live outside during the Spring/Summer.  I agree with your comments. i think I shall prune them and try to take some cuttings from the prunings and see what happens!!!
    Thank you so much for your help. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,995
    They’ll need very good light if you’re growing them on indoors ... they really need to be against a window. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The problem I have, as you can see from the photo, is the pots that the mother plants are in are huge and wouldn't go on a windowsill although the cutting would.  Do you think they would grow well in a greenhouse or one of those plastic tunnels?
  • They will overwinter in a greenhouse only if the temperature doesn’t drop under 5 Celsius. I had to give up on trying to overwinter too many large specimens because of lack of space. Most pelargonium grow well in 15 cm pots, so you could prune the mother plant (including the root) and repot it in a small pot for the windowsill. Alternatively, take cuttings and discard the original plant. 
  • Thank you so much for your time in helping with my query. I will take all your comments on board and give it all a go!! thanks again.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 794
    Just looking back through old threads for some help with pruning pelargoniums...

I didn't prune them last autumn, just popped them from the patio into the conservatory. They are now starting to grown again... should I just leave well alone, or should I prune them now. I'm sure there is colder weather yet to come, so don't want to do anything rash...

Many thanks.