Bird feeder observation

• Helix said:
    Enjoy them ?  Haven't seen a Jay for years - lucky you :)

I’ll pop them in a carrier and send them over....we have too many and they raid the nests of the little birds. 
    Just let me know when to expect them ;)
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 148
    We've had a Grey Wagtail visit the flooded garden for the last couple of days.. which is nice.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,136
    We had a Grey wagtail visit here for a couple of days a few years ago at this time of year ... probably en route somewhere else for the winter. A lovely bird ... I wish it would visit again ... 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 148
    And as if on cue.. as I was sat in my conservatory reading the thread a small flock of Long Tailed Tits has just appeared out of nowhere - a brief nibble from the bird table and off they went. Never seen them in the garden before so another pleasant surprise.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230
    I keep hearing about Starling numbers falling but I've just counted 25 in the garden. Jays are actually more common than people realise, it's because they are secretive and happiest in dense woodland.

Somebody mentioned Greenfinches. I've not had one here for what must be years now. When I was a lad they were one of the commonest garden birds while Goldfinches were scarce. Now it's the reverse of that. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,731
    But starlings used to be counted in their hundreds. @Fishy65
    Hope the ltts go and tell their friends @Rik56
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,143
    Both the green finches and long tailed tits are visitors,  but only oddly during late Autumn/early winter, they never stay. My migrants are blackbirds. Up until this cold patch there was seven fighting over the garden, now there seems to be just two.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
    Here - it used to be chaffinches which were the most common garden bird. I lived a few hundred yards from where I am now, for over 16 years, and you couldn't move for 'em.  Dunnocks are definitely our most common visitor in this garden, and it's taken until quite recently for chaffinches to appear. Been here over 6 years.
    Blue, great and coal tits, sparrows, robins and blackbirds are about the same as they were round there, but the goldies have arrived in the last couple of years and now visit regularly which is great. We get the odd siskin, goldcrest [plenty of conifers] and wren - and I'd say that's about the same as before. The aforementioned wagtails [grey and pied] are common round here too - plenty of water - and they come in the garden now and again. Occasional visits from long tailed tits, but we had them quite regularly in the previous garden. 
    Starlings, magpies and wood pigeons in abundance, also as before. Jackdaws, rooks and crows are very common, butrarely come in the garden.
    Greenfinches were present before, but I haven't seen any since I moved back to the area. I think they succumbed to disease in a lot of areas.
    One visitor we always had in the previous garden was a treecreeper. Usually in later winter - February or so. Lovely wee thing  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230
    B3 said:
    But starlings used to be counted in their hundreds. @Fishy65
    Hope the ltts go and tell their friends @Rik56
    Not in my garden though B3, but I understand your point. It's good to hear there are still greenfinches about  :)
  • My feeders are getting mobbed every day with gold finches and greenfinches. They both nested successfully this year and brought their babies to introduce them to takeaway food, and even with 2 big feeders there just aren't enough perches!