Bird feeder observation

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,551
    Sounds great, @PeggyTX.  Photos with Cardinals on would be lovely...   :)

Our feeders have been up for nearly a fortnight now.  The six-port seed feeder, filled with sunflower hearts, is particularly popular - loads of finches, including more goldfinches than ports so they have to queue... and greenfinches, very rarely seen where we used to be in W.Yorks.  And, this morning, lesser redpolls.  Never seen them before - had to look up the little stripey-backed birds on line...  apparently they are now quite common in Ireland.  Need to order more sunflower hearts ASAP.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
    How lovely @Liriodendron- especially the redpolls.  :)
    My feeders have been a bit quet recently - not sure why. We've had quite hard frost every day for the last five days, so you'd think they'd have been busy, but I expect there's still plenty of other food supplies round about. 
    There are still all the usual birds visiting, but not in such big numbers, especially the goldies. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 601
    We were doing well with our bird feeders ....well the birds were. Our bank balance less so.    But today everything got snaffled by jays. Every time we turned our back they were there plonked in middle hoovering everything up.  I don’t mind them having their fair share but they were scaring all the little birds away.   

What to do?
  • Enjoy them ?  Haven't seen a Jay for years - lucky you :)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,551
    Squirrel-proof bird feeders kept jays off our feeders, @Helix...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 601
    Enjoy them ?  Haven't seen a Jay for years - lucky you :)

I’ll pop them in a carrier and send them over....we have too many and they raid the nests of the little birds. 
    edited November 2019
    We don't get them round here - probably just as well by the sound of it!

You need a wee cage or two like mine @Helix ;)

• B3B3 Posts: 10,750
    We get the odd one or two. All the little birds disappear when they're about.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I have resorted to two ground feeders, one for the smaller birds with a cage over it and another one a bit further away without a cage for the collard doves and magpies etc. It worked very well last winter.
    I've done similar things @floralies, otherwise it's difficult for the blackbirds. I have a covered ground feeder which the wood pigeons are suspicious of, and they, and the magpies, eat at the open bit of ground by the shed instead. I put food in among the shrubs too, and the blackies and dunnocks etc rummage around in there.