Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeder observation

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150
    The magpies here like a bit of acrobatic 'clinging' to the fat feeder. It's quite entertaining  ;)
    I've got the cylindrical feeders and I like using the sausagey doofers [correct term] as well as the fat balls for them. I used to have one of those square ones - not sure where that's gone. 

The goldies were back yesterday, so all is well with my world  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,867
    😀
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 892
    Sparrows and blackbirds, chaffinches etc ground feed, we find that by doing that it allows the other song birds to use the feeders, tits for instance won't go near the feeders while sparrows are there.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,875
    There's odd.  We get tits and sparrows and chaffinches all at once on the main feeder and the loose seed below.    The robins are back and a couple of shy warblers and the collared doves all join in too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I always have "seed" and fat balls, I gauge who quickly, or otherwise , the fat balls are being eaten and that dictates if I put out 1, 2, 3, or none at all. They are certainly eaten at different rates at different times of year, but so long as they ARE being eaten, I top them up. 
    Devon.
    The sparrows and chaffies here eat inside the cages, on the feeders, or on the tray below them. Robins too. I often have a mix of great/blue tits, dunnocks and sparrows all in there together.
    The dunnocks do more chasing than the sparrrows too - they even see off the robin!

• cornellycornelly Posts: 892
    Had trouble with cages, sparrow hawks would pull their prey from them, our dunnocks chase the robin away, shame he is my garden friend, with me quite a lot, what ever I am doing.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,172
    The dunnocks don't stand a chance with this years young robin that has taken over the territory,  he sees them off at every opportunity.  He has been quick to train too. I just have to whistle and call him and he's there when I put the food out, and no matter what I'm doing he comes to see if I've disturbed any food.
    Not daft, are they @purplerallim ;)

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 347
    This is who is using my bird feeders 😕