Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeder observation

• B3B3 Posts: 11,549
    😝 No photos of your progress,please.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 823
    Bought fats today for the feeders, usually stop feeding fats end of March and resume about now, find from the end of March birds don't eat fats.
  • B3 said:
    😝 No photos of your progress,please.
    Oh you are a spoilsport B3 :D
  • cornelly said:
    Bought fats today for the feeders, usually stop feeding fats end of March and resume about now, find from the end of March birds don't eat fats.
    Does anyone else find this?

I find the fat balls will get devoured as much as anything else all through summer if I put them out.

I've also noticed tits feeding in the way described in the first post, seems to be the same for coal, blue and great. 
  • In late July and August the birds all brought their babies to the feeders and I was having to refill the fat balls everyday. On many days they emptied them completely. They are actually eating less right now, but it won't last - we had our first frost last night!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,390
    I don't feed fat balls because the mess under the feeder is disgusting but I mix suet pellets in with the seed mix and they get eaten first all year round. I reduce the amount of pellets in summer though.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,430
    I've noticed the adults use my fat balls as easy fast food while feeding babies, then they bring the young into my garden park them in the bushes and continue to feed themselves from the feeders with bits of seed taken back to the young. As they get bigger they start eating the dropped food from below the feeder, but still expect the adults to feed them even though the food is right in front of their beaks.😁
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,532
    I've always fed the birds all year round o th egrounds that the adults need the energy to get thru winter, build a good nest, lay healthy eggs and have the energy to fossick in my garden for aphids and caterpillars to feed their nestlings.   Once fledged, the young follow mum and dad to the feeders and are waited on, hand and foot (beak and claw?) till they finally get the idea.

I use a mix of fat and seed balls plus blocks of fat and fruit, fat and mealworms or fat and peanuts, peanuts when I can find them and loose mixed grain, sometimes with extra sunflower seeds added.   I withdraw the fat balls in heatwaves because they just get too soft and end up in gobs below.

Feeding slows in late summer and autumn because there's so much on trees and in hedgerow but is picking up apace again now, partly because our local population is increasing and also getting more varied.  It took years in our Belgian garden too for the locals to cotton on but we ended up with loads of different birds so pleased with progress here so far.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 823
    Strange with me the fat balls are left as April appears, they go rancid, bird seed gets eaten all year round, sunflower hearts in feeders and mixed feed on the slabbed area below, water in shallow dishes.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,412
    I do much the same @cornelly. I don't do the fat balls through the middle of the year. Always have the feeders with seed and sunflower hearts though, and they're used every day, but I don't ground feed - the bigger birds get plenty of food elsewhere, and return at this time of year when food is scarcer. Water always available in various area of the garden, which helps when the shallow trays and containers are frozen like they were yesterday and today.
    I used to stop feeding altogether in summer, and there's always a bit of debate about it, but I feel it's a good thing to do.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....