Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeder observation

• B3B3 Posts: 13,126
    What really annoyed  me about the parakeets was the way they just hung upside down and effortlessly ate the lot. I don't begrudge the magpies a few seeds as they put so much effort into get what little they managed.I
    I had trouble with pigeons hurling themselves at the feeder to knock the seeds out but I moved it and they stopped.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 848
    Our feeders are hung on a feeder pole, the pole is greased to deter the squirrels.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,359
    Ours are hung on a "decorative" metal thingy which was bought for a clematis but turned out to be impractical.  Great for hanging feeders tho.

No squirrel problems here and it's placed clear of cover for cats and in view of our kitchen window and table.  Great fun.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Two parakeets had another go .Tee hee😂
    I'm going to need some more bird seed soon. Ive seen some really cheap stuff but it seems to have, what looks like, a load of porridge in it.
    Do the birds eat it? Has it any nutritional value or is it just a filler?
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,469
    IME, just a filler - cheap is cheap - benefits your pocket initially but not worth it in the end. 
    I thought as much. Thanks @philippa smith2😕
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,270
    Our blackbirds and migrants like rolled oats/porridge in frosty and snowy weather but that’s as ground food. I wouldn’t use it in feeders. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,359
    No porridge oats for the birds here but then we don't get blackbirds in the feeder area.  However, we have just been visited by a peregrine.  It swooped into my kitchen bay shrub and missed and then tried to sort of hop, nonchalantly, ever closer to the feeders.  Our tits and sparrows were having none of it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nothing as dramatic as a peregrine here, just the usually crew - blue & great tits, goldfinches, robin, male and female chaffinches, green finch, blackbirds,  grey pied wagtail crows, gulls and pigeons.  We haven't seen a wren or thrush in ages, in fact the last thrush was over a year ago - they never ate from the feeders anyway.