Right time to plant pansies and primulas outside

124»

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,869
    Seems no one agreed with what I said about planting them out, but it's probably a matter of climate. I live in SW France and @Fairygirl lives in Scotland. I didn't know where you live and should have taken that into account. I just know that my pansies and violas grow much quicker once they have been planted out. But it was 20° here today. However you do need to watch out for slugs and snails.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Sandra ASandra A Posts: 42
    Seems no one agreed with what I said about planting them out, but it's probably a matter of climate. I live in SW France and @Fairygirl lives in Scotland. I didn't know where you live and should have taken that into account. I just know that my pansies and violas grow much quicker once they have been planted out. But it was 20° here today. However you do need to watch out for slugs and snails

Hi Busy-Lizzie, today at 6am it was 3 degrees and everything was frozen :smile:

• Sandra ASandra A Posts: 42
    Hey everyone I can see my first 3 pansy flowers!!! So exciting! But it is so cold outside to release these poor little babies! They are still so tiny!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,992
    Keep your powder dry for now @Sandra A ;)
    They do flower even when small, but it's not ideal for them at this time of year to go out.
    I've just split and replanted some native primulas, but they're tough and acclimatised, so that's fine. It's all a learning curve - and when I started gardening more seriously, I planted things out when I shouldn't, and couldn't understand why they failed.
    Much older - and hopefully a tiny bit wiser, now  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....