What is grit?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,499
    If you have well drained soil you don't need grit.  You need organic matter from well-rotted garden compost or manure.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Hostafan1 said:
    Forgive our bad manners:
    Welcome to the Forum @contact57
    You don't have bad manners hosta, Your the prime example of the perfect lady. Always respectable kind and courteous ☺☺ never nasty or sarcastic and always ready to help anyone in need. I know we had our differences in the past which are now sorted out and mended and I look forward to a great blossoming friendship for the future on the gardeners world forum x
  • I love a bit of grit.  I generally use the RHS grit which is crushed granite.  I’m on heavy clay so always digging it in whenever planting.  Christopher Lloyd yo was a big advocate.  Even talked about top dressing with grit 😮
  • I'm currently 'recycling' eroded tarmac that flushed past my back garage after repeated heavy rains: when passed through a range of homemade sieves, it yields gravel >12mm through to fine grit (2-4mm). There's mossy bits too, so that ends up in the compost bin! Best benefit is that it's FREE!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
    I like grit for top dressing too @1634 Racine- especially things like Dianthus, or Sempervivums. Anything in a pot really  :)
    That's brilliant @David Matthews2. Are you getting enough to make it worthwhile though? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Fairygirl : Half a barrow load in under an hour *my time is my own/ Govt sponsored 'holiday' since May 2012!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
     :D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,132
    Obelixx said:
    If you have well drained soil you don't need grit.  You need organic matter from well-rotted garden compost or manure.
    Hi @Obelixx,
    I've always wondered what stuff might be considered the equivalent of grit in French garden centers.  Do you know?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,499
    Haven't seen any Papi Jo but I haven't been looking hard either.  Would really like some for next year's sowings tho so will have to make an effort.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 591
    I have never seen anything resembling grit over here. I have looked all over the place but have not seen any @Papi Jo and @Obelixx.