Forum home Plants

Olive tree

We have a small young olive tree planted by our small pond in the garden which is doing really well. We had quite a few olives on the tree, but have recently noticed some red berry
clusters as well. I have never seen this on an olive tree before, has anyone else come across
this ?

• Can you post a photo, as this doesn't make sense at all. Welcome to the forum BTW @June.kerry
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,312
    I sometimes find clusters of tiny red (or sometimes purplish) berries on mine too.
    I assume (maybe incorrectly) they are fruits that didn't form properly and later in the year they die off and drop.
    Welcome to the forum too.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you for the welcome amancalledgeorge and Pete.8. I will try to post
    a photo, but I am not very good at techy stuff ! 
    Pete.8 yes, ours are tiny and are probably are new fruits, it has been mild weather
     down south where we live for a while. 🙂
  • My only olive tree growing experience was in Greece and we only got flowers and fruit...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2019
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Hi everyone, My olive tree is approx 5years old and this year i had sooooo many flowers, I thought I was finally getting olives but the flowers are just dropping. I read that this means the plant is male.Does that mean no olives?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,312
    You may be better off starting a new thread for your question as this thread is 4 years old.

My twopence worth - I've had an olive for about 20yrs.
    Every year it produces masses of flowers sometimes I get a few olives, sometimes I don't.
    Last year there were quite a few but some blackcaps took an interest and stripped it bare within a day.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • wow I would love an olive tree I might have to plant one when the time is right