Forum home Problem solving

jackie turner

We have a field at the back of us with a 'lake' the other side of the fence. There is nowhere for this amount of water to go except into our garden. We have dug a moat and installed a bund but they are teetering on breaching. The water at the back is varying between 2" and 4" above the patio. Some of it is trying to go to the front of the property but it actually has nowhere to go from there. We have clay soil so it doesn't soak away. We would pay for someone to come and look at it and then sort it but can't find anyone with an answer. Can anyone give us any hope of not sinking!!!!!???? Please

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,949
    Hi @jackiect and welcome 😃 

A few questions 

Is the field part of your property?

Is the ‘lake’ always there or is it the result of recent rains?

Have you investigated any drainage pipes or ditches around the field which may be blocked?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for reading my problem. No, the field belongs to a farmer and he's not interested in drainage or spending money. It isn't a real lake it just forms like one due to heavy rains. The only drainage in the field were pipes we found by accident which we have blocked as it was draining into our moat! All other drainage on our property seems fine going into the soakaway but once it gets there it has nowhere else to go so there is then a backlog.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,497
    That's difficult then @jackiect. have you got a pic of the area[s] in question?
    Perhaps the bit you've blocked needs unblocking, so that you can then divert it?
    Difficult to suggest anything without seeing it all.
    Sometimes the best solution is planting appropriately to remove the excess water [willow is the usual] but that needs careful consideration if it's near the house. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,472
    We had very similar here, in the end my OH just went into the field and dug a ditch right along to the road, it drains out there now but it was filling my gh’s every time it rained. 
    I cant picture your situation though so perhaps thats not practical for you. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,949
    @wild edges may have some ideas as to your options. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It was actually worse than this looks! the water has now subsided as the rain has stopped and we had a harsh frost last night. There really is nowhere to send the water as the front of the bungalow is pretty flat but rises a little towards the road and as you can see the field at the back is higher than us. I'd be happy if we could just find someone who could look at the problem and give us some hope.
    Hi @jackiect- does the patio run away from the house though? That's the most important thing initially.
    Was there adequate drainage put in when it was done too?
    You haven't said whereabouts you are - you don't have to be exact, but has the house been recently built?

• The bungalow is over 30 years old and we've lived here for nearly 3 years. It's mid Wales and I know we should expect rain. We were told that there is no main drainage only soakaways, but there is just too much water for those areas to cope with plus it's clay. The patio runs away down the side of the property but it's quite a gentle slope and there's not a lot we can do about that. It goes to the lawn at the front which is the soakaway. We have drainage stone EVERYWHERE. Not pretty but it helps a bit. However when the rain goes through that it hits clay and stops...
    Thank you so much for your interest, it's good to talk to someone. To put things into perspective our local town (6 miles away) of Builth Wells was flooded yesterday as the river burst its banks. Everyone is saying it's the worst rain they've ever seen but what happens if it gets worse next time?

Ah - that helps with a bit of perspective. Not much help with your problem I'm afraid.

We have a member here who is in Wales - the one @Dovefromabove mentions above -he's a bit further east, but I know he had a lot of flooding too. He might be able to offer some ideas, or offer contacts to try.
    We have similar problems in lots of areas in Scotland - clay soil and copious rain. My last house was on a hill, and the spring would regularly overflow, but the house was elevated so we didn't have a problem. The back entrance did occasionally get water flowing towards it, but there was plenty of gravelled space for it to get into the ground, keeping it form entering the house. We also had a large pond, so any overflow was directed into it and a subsidiary one, which then overflowed into the bordering ground and out onto the verges etc.
    The clay pan is always a problem to deal with, but hopefully this isn't going to be a common occurrence for you with this spell of weather. The problem arises when it falls on already saturated ground. It would be a shame if you have to invest in some really heavy duty drains, but that might be the option. 

Your property is very clean and tidy - that's why I wondered if it was new!

• Thank you. We had a new conservatory and just had the outside walls painted so it is looking at its best. I'll ask dove, thanks