Forum home The potting shed

Japanese Maple

Hi Ian from Aberdeen Scotland on a very frosty night

I want to move my JM bush / tree about 4ft high and 3ft wide it is in full bloom with wonderful red leaves when would you advise best time to move it 
Thanks in advance

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,233
    Once it's lost its leaves and gone dormant above ground.   Do it while the soil is still warm and dig up as much of the rootball as you can.   Water it well at least an hour beforehand.

Have the new hole ready dug and make sure it goes back in at the same depth it was before.  Water in well and then give it a good mulch of well-rotted garden compost and/or manure to help things along. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Once it's lost its leaves and gone dormant above ground.   Do it while the soil is still warm and dig up as much of the rootball as you can.   Water it well at least an hour beforehand.

Have the new hole ready dug and make sure it goes back in at the same depth it was before.  Water in well and then give it a good mulch of well-rotted garden compost and/or manure to help things along. 
    Thanks I am surprised it is in such good condition considering we are almsot into November and are getting frost 
  • sounds like good advice. Hope you can get it moved okay, I have managed to move a couple of acers in autumn with success in past years.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,330
    It should move no problem @ian.mckay- follow @Obelixx's instructions, but make sure you do it when it isn't frosty. Wait till you get a spell of reasonable weather.
    It might mean waiting a while though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for all the replies Have taken note. 

The thing that is surprising me is it is in full bloom beautiful red leave and not showing any sign of dormancy even though we have had a few frosty nights / mornings
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,330
    Lots round here still with good foliage too @ian.mckay. Most of those are a bit lower down than I am, but nevertheless, it's great to see them, and not completely unusual.  I'd say we've had less windy weather which can annihilate the foliage overnight. 
    Enjoy it while it lasts  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl 

Thanks for reply I intent to enjoy it, it is probable the best I have seen it I moved it about 3 / 4 yrs ago and it looked as though it was dead but I just left it and it has come back 200% better than it was I have a new spot for it and going to use it as the main feature on a new made rockery with white stones and different coloured heather in front of it. The JP will be at the highest point on a slope looking down on the stones and heather I am all ready with stones and heather plants in so will just have to wait on my main star to go dormant before it is moved to make it's new entrance next year LOL
  • Help please Mother-goose has replied and I am getting a notification but cannot see the message
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,233
    Not on this thread so maybe a PM?  Go to the black bar at the top of the screen and click on the second icon to the right of your user name.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw