Forum home Fruit & veg

Over wintering container grown strawberries

Hi everyone  :)

Please help me with some safe advice, I'm a new gardener!
I planted strawberries in containers back in August ready for next year. They are growing really, really well, loads of leaves and flowers and even some tiny fruit! Given the weather is beginning to turn cold I thought it best to bring them into the potting shed, just so any early frosts don't kill them. My question is should I cut the leaves and flowers off? Also should I water them too over the winter? Please help, I'd hate to lose them as I've really nurtured them this past couple of months. Many thanks in advance.

Jayne 🙂

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,291
    edited October 2019
    Hi @jayne.harper74 - they dont need any protection - strawberries are totally hardy  :)

Just leave them as they are, but you can remove any dead or dying foliage if you wish. In spring, remove some of the old growing medium, replace with fresh compost, and add a slow release food if you wish, and then let them get on with it again.
    They can cope with frost, rain, snow,ice, sun, wind  and everything in between.  :)

You can also pot up runners which will give you more plants. It's useful as the initial plants will gradually become less productive over time. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much Fairygirl. I'm very grateful to you. At least I know what to for them now 😃
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,252
    That’s good to know, as I grew a few pots for the first time this year and have several runners potted-up too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • I live in the north west with a north east facing garden and I have left my strawberrys in the ground for the last five years, I will pot on the shoots and replace a fifth of my strawberrys as someone told me they fruit lass as the grow older