Forum home Tools and techniques

Painting plastic pots.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,389
I have some plastic planters that I would like to freshen up by painting black.
I don't want to faff about too much as I hate painting!
Would a coat or two of emulsion/gloss/hammerite do the trick do you think?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,658
    I think you might need to prime them, or sand them,  first @madpenguin. Have you got a DIY store near you? There are lots of spray paints too, which might do the job.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,148
    In my experience, none of the above would have durability on plastic pots/planters.  The only paint that will adhere and maintain a proper finish is acrylic.  This can work out quite expensive if you have large planters, though.  Perhaps a bit of research may come up with a more satisfactory solution.
    Emulsion on plastic = run-off and little adhesion.
    Gloss - probable run-off and flaking of any paint that does adhere
    Hammerite - formulated for metal

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,819
    edited October 2019
    @madpenguin Get an all-purpose surface spray paint and follow the instructions. I bought it in black a couple of years ago and spray painted a plastic garden storage bench. It could do with a touch up now but it faces south all summer so I'm not surprised. Didn't need priming either - I just washed it down and let it dry.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,389
    Thanks all.
    I seem to remember painting some plastic window boxes with masonry paint leftover from doing the house.Maybe I could try that again!
  • I don't think this is a good idea from the plant perspective. Particularly if its for anything edible like herbs.
    Nothing edible and the paint is only on the outside anyway.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,033
    I’d use the all purpose spray paint as advised by @Lizzie27 ... masonry paint will definitely flake. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,658
    It'll be absolutely fine for pots, regardless of what's in them. 
    I've painted pots with the paint I use for timber too - and it works on terracotta. If you can be bothered sanding to get a key, that might work, but you'd need a coat of varnish too, so it depends how much effort you want to put in  ;)
    The spray paints are all designed with a specific purpose, so it's just a question of finding a suitable one, as @Lizzie27 says :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It is strange that if you paint something 'accidentally' you can never shift it,never flakes etc.....
    ......but when you do a 'professional' job it does!!!!!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,793
    I've used masonry paint for a big pot next to a stone wall, it worked fine, has lasted over 10 years and I've used paint for outdoor plastic which started flaking after about 7 years. I used a brush because I used a couple of different shades and swirled it together for a textured look. I gave the pots a quick rub first with rough sandpaper.
    Dordogne and Norfolk