Forum home Problem solving

Opening a garden for charity

Would anyone know of a reasonable insurer to open my garden for charity for one day a year please?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,499
    Have you considered opening your garden as part of the NGS?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Gardens_Scheme

It raises a lot of money for a selection of very worthwhile charities and you get the support of the organisation. 

Several posters on here open their gardens as part of the NGS. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes but their standards are too exacting! Will now open in aid of local Hospice.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,164
    I considered doing this to raise money for a local animal rescue centre.

My garden has a lot of stone steps of indifferent quality and lots of slippery paths.

When I asked about insurance for an afternoon, the amount of money required for the premium etc was more than I might have hoped to raise here, in a small village, for the charity.

Rather than send a donation to the insurance company, I just sent a donation to the charity and forgot about it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • A very similar situation to me actually!  One quote is £62 and would I really cover all my costs etc... so thanks Pansyface.
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 521
    Contact your local hospice; here in Devon they produce a booklet with open gardens and seem to give a lot of help. 
  • Yes I am opening with them actually and we have worked together on the cost so I can open now next year!   Thank you for all your help with this, kind gardeners!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,164
    I live in a national park quite close to a variety of public footpaths and bridleways.

I have found a good way to raise money is by putting things on the drive with a note to “help yourself. all donations go to x charity”.

Every year I raise about £100+ from fruit from the trees.  I also raise about £50 from tomato seedlings, which I keep in the conservatory. 

The same people now come back year after year. Often people give money and take nothing.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi again I used to live very close to the Peak district by the way!  Yes I will give your ideas some thought and I'm glad I can work with the charity now and do my open day.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    @Barbara15 - I used to open for the NGS and our local village 'Open Gardens' event. We were advised to contact our buildings insurer and let them know the date, which I did. They did not seem that bothered and didn't charge me any extra. What I did do is to get some hazard warning tape to put around/across any dodgy bits of the garden (we have some irregular steps and slopes etc plus stone birdbaths not cemented in etc). As long as you warn visitors of any potential hazards you should be okay. I found it very enjoyable and loved the adrenaline buzz but it was jolly hard work! Enjoy your day!
  • Thank you Lizzie - good idea with the hazard tape! My home insurers say no so luckily I am being helped by the charity themselves. They will also provide warning signs for the pond etc! I am looking forward to the day though. :)