Forum home Tools and techniques

Darlac Expert Bypass DP1030A secateurs

I found these in our local garden machinery shop after reading GW's review (in which they were given a "best buy"). The owner, who I know to be a genuine guy couldn't praise them enough, so I decided to give them a go.
They were around £23 so about midrange price-wise. 
They seem to be an exact copy of a Felco no.8! The shop also had a model which looked like a copy of the Felco 7 with the swivel handle.

A couple of months ago I bought my partner a pair of Felco model 2, so I thought it might be fun to compare the two  :)

I paid twice as much for the Felco's but on the surface there really isn't much to choose between them: they both have cast and anodised aluminium bodies, the silicon grips seem to be of equivalent quality, all parts are replaceable and both have a lifetime warranty.

Felco don't say what grade of steel their blades are made from, but their reputation speaks for itself. Darlac state the steel they use as SK5 which is a well known Japanese steel ideally suited to bladed tools, so should last well.

Of the two, the Felcos were smoothest out of the box, which you would expect. The Darlacs had a very slight notchiness to the action, but so slight that if I didn't have the felcos to compare, I probably  wouldn't have noticed (also if I dismantled and cleaned them I bet I could get rid of that gritty feeling). On the other hand, the lock on the Darlac seemed easier to operate, though again, cleaning and adjustment would probably equalise them.
 The blade on the Darlacs was noticeably sharper than the one on the felcos, but in use that sharpness didn't really equate to any better cutting, they both slice through branches like nobody's business, with no twisting whatsoever through the bigger stuff.

Only time will tell whether these secateurs really match the felcos for quality, but my first impressions would suggest that they offer a very good value option for anyone who wants a quality tool but is, for whatever reason, not quite ready to lay best part of 50 spuds on it.
Of course, they might fall apart in 5 minutes, but they do seem too well built to do that!

Now I'm really tempted to give the swivel-handled model a go, but for balance I'd feel obliged to buy the felco model 7 as well, so maybe I'll pass... for now ;)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510
    No good me having expensive secateurs, I lose them in no time in my jungle.  I pay 1.99 in Asda and they clean and sharpen up very well when I find them again. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,510
    As you well know Philippa 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    I don't get why the Felco design doesn't have some sort of copyright. Companies just rip it off now down to the handle colour and mechanism and no one seems to bat an eyelid. :/
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,180
    I've bought second hand genuine Felco on ebay for about £20 
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    Mine were only £32.99 new so I've always assumed they were fake. :#
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,180
    the first pair of Felco I bought were about £25 new and the "service cost" was about £4.95 , now I think the service charge is about £25
    Devon.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Do you really think they are much better than the cheap ones ?  Mine cost £12 3 years ago and still go through 1 inch tree branches 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,662
    I'm a bit like @Lyn. I would worry I'd lose an expensive set.
    I have Wilkinson Sword ones - and I'm on my second or third pair. They do me fine, but I may use mine less than @Hostafan1 and others here. I had a pair of Asda ones too, and they were good, but the spring went on them, and then they didn't get them back in. 
    I use loppers for anything more substantial, and I have snips for soft stuff, and deadheading, and old scissors for string and the odd thing here and there. 
    That way, I'm bound to have something I can hack back stuff with... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,761
    Maybe I am just a snob, but having used cheap models for years, I bought Felco's about 10 years ago, and I love them.
    I "service" them myself, so value wise, I think they were good.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Fairygirl said:
    I'm a bit like @Lyn. I would worry I'd lose an expensive set.
    I have Wilkinson Sword ones - and I'm on my second or third pair. They do me fine, but I may use mine less than @Hostafan1 and others here. I had a pair of Asda ones too, and they were good, but the spring went on them, and then they didn't get them back in. 
    I use loppers for anything more substantial, and I have snips for soft stuff, and deadheading, and old scissors for string and the odd thing here and there. 
    That way, I'm bound to have something I can hack back stuff with... ;)
    You worry to much.