Garden visitors

A good 24 hours in our garden, last night we had 5 hedgehogs visiting the feeding bowl at the same time whereas normally we have up to 3 at one time.   Then this morning I surprised and I was surprised to see a female pheasant when normally we have only the male pheasant.  There was a young family of pheasants with adult male along the lanes from us recently, so to see one in our garden is a real treat.  On top of that I saw my first Gold Crest (tiny bird with yellow streak across it's head) near our pond.  If only I had the camera with me!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,737
    Are pheasants reared on the island for shooting or are they a naturalised species there?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    They are lovely little birds [goldcrests]  @Guernsey Donkey2. :)
    We have them here - they love conifers and spend a lot of time in them, so you don't always get much of a chance to see them.
    We regularly got pheasants in the garden at least house - the chap across from us fed them, and they nested in there. They often sat on the windowsills  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,118
    Lucky you @Guernsey Donkey2 I would love to see a Gold Crest or maybe a Siskin in the garden.😁
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,041
    Sadly have not seen a hedgehog here for many years.
    AB Still learning

• The pheasants are reared for shooting, which is incredibly sad, although I haven't heard any gunshots around here for a few years - I think they are shot on the open land on the cliffs or near the beaches, we live in a more built up area so hopefully these will escape the gun. We have bird feeders and the fallen seeds seem to be the attraction for the pheasants.  Yes, I was lucky to see a Gold Crest although there are certain parts of the island where they flock to each winter. Let's hope we see a few more here - camera at the ready. Pictures especially for @Allotment Boy and anyone else deprived of them in their garden.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,041
    Aww thanks we had a family summer nest under one of our (low growing) Acers some years ago not seen any since.
    AB Still learning

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,955
    Thanks so much @Guernsey Donkey2  :)
    No sign in my back garden for several weeks now, sadly.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Shouldn't really see hedgehogs out in the day. I love birds and have fed them for many years as well as birdwatching in my younger years. The birds that have outwitted me are commoner birds like the siskin, redpoll, linnet and the redstart but I've seen a golden oriole, lesser spotted woodpecker and even a bee eater the once. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,410
    edited 21 October
    You are right of course @BirminghamMarc1972 that hogs really shouldn't be out during the day especially on a hot summer's day or if they look unwell, these had just been delivered here - we often adopt hogs, with our large garden and a field there are ideal habitats for them. The neighbour's cat isn't amused though!
  • I was pleased to see these two pheasants munching dropped bird seed in our garden this afternoon.  We have had them here separately but not together before today.