Forum home Problem solving

Clematis Winter Beauty wilting

Morning everyone,

I planted this clematis ‘winter beauty’ about 6 weeks ago and it’s been doing so well.  This weekend it has started to wilt.  Can anyone advise what’s wrong and whether anything can be done? Thanks in advance. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    have a look for slug ,mice damage.
    Devon.
  • @Hostafan1 Will do Hosta! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    Thirst?  That's a very narrow bed so it will find it hard to get enough rainfall and nutrients too  Try giving it a bucket of water every other day or so and see if that perks it up.  Clematis are very hungry, thirsty plants, especially when settling their roots down to get established.

Also, you need to free it from those canes and remove the wee plastic ties.   Gently twine the stems along that horizontal wire and think about adding another above and below for more stems.   This will encourage more flowers. 

Given decent watering and feeding it will soon cover the fence and get to the trellis.  Give it an annual feed of slow release food every spring and occasional waterings with added tomato feed or seaweed between ordinary waterings and never let it go thirsty in dry spells.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • @Obelixx. Thank you very much.  Will do as you have suggested 🤞
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    Let us know how it goes.  It's a lovely clematis when it's happy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • @Obelixx. I will and thanks again.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,089
    I find snails love to strip the bark from clematis.  It’s worth carrying out a snail hunt at night and in rainy weather when they’re wandering about, grazing as they go. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you @Dovefromabove
  • Thank you @philippa smith2 I’m not entirely sure I’ve planted it deep enough.  I’ll give it a good feed and keep my fingers crossed 🤞
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I don't plant the ones which like freer draining soil as deep as the others. I plant them at the depth they are in the pot. I have heavy soil though - so I'd rather be safe than sorry. 
    My alpina clematis Constance is in a really tiny, narrrow raised bed, albeit open to the ground below. It's happy as Larry. I've cut it right back fairly recently, as I needed to do a bit of work on the trellis it's on, and also tie it in to get a better framework. It's put on some new growth, and is looking good again. I hardly do anything to it in the way of food or water. An occasional top dressing of compost and B,F&B in spring. I have a macropetala as well, Lemon Dream, which also likes good drainage. It romped away this year, having been planted a couple of years ago. It was also planted at the same depth as in the pot  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....