Earwigs.

Hi! Earlier on in the year when I was having a tidy up I was amazed at how many earwigs there was. I have millions of the little blighters. They're under every pot,stone,bucket and even make their way up the bird feeder hiding underneath the feeder tops. I don,t kill anything in my garden and I believe they are a predator so is this a sign my garden is healthy? I don,t know! However!! Back in the seventies in my other garden before I move to get married I saw a devils coach horse beetle. That was forty years ago and I have never seen another since. Until this summer when I found FOUR of them in my back garden. I was thrilled to bits. I know they are a gardeners friend. I got my books out to see what they prey on and lo and behold they munch on earwigs!! I can't wait for next year to see what other creepies will find their home here. 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I saw devils beetle for the first time the other day. My garden has loads of earwigs and wolf spiders 
  • goddygoddy Posts: 30
    I have lots of wolf spiders too. This is what I love about Gardening. Watching all the little critters go about their business. The other week when it was pouring down I went into the conservatory and right outside the door was a bedraggled sparrow hawk plucking a collared dove. Probably a young inexperienced one. It flew off over the fence with it. The birds(in particular our resident wood pigeon)were very nervous until I was able to go out and clean the blood and feathers up. Sad, but they have to eat.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 790
    Earwigs ate my honeysuckle then the black fly. I don't like them but I leave them alone. What eats earwigs I wonder? 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,688
    Bijdezee said:
    What eats earwigs I wonder? 
    Everything. They're like the chicken of the insect world :#

They're abundant here this year too. It's been a bumper year for all kinds of insects.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,966
    Funnily enough - we've had a lot of earwigs this year, and we don't tend to get that many normally. 
    I managed to bring one in with me the other day - he was on the settee. I didn't put him in the sandwich I was eating though.
    Maybe he fancied whatever was on the telly... 

Always 'spider city' here too. I released one I found in the shed yesterday that had got stuck in a plastic bag with some bits and pieces. He never even thanked me - ungrateful s*d  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• goddygoddy Posts: 30
    I find that earwigs do some damage but this doesn't outweigh the benefits. Devils coach horse prey on them. 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Fairygirl said:
    Funnily enough - we've had a lot of earwigs this year, and we don't tend to get that many normally. 
    I managed to bring one in with me the other day - he was on the settee. I didn't put him in the sandwich I was eating though.
    Maybe he fancied whatever was on the telly... 

Always 'spider city' here too. I released one I found in the shed yesterday that had got stuck in a plastic bag with some bits and pieces. He never even thanked me - ungrateful s*d  ;) 😂😂😂😂
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566
    Can’t remember the last time I saw an earwig ... there must be something about my garden that they don’t like :/  ... either that or all the birds and other wildlife we attract are eating them as soon as they appear. 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lots here - I'll swap you an Earwig for that nuclear potato Dove :D
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566
    You’re very welcome @philippa smith2  🤣 

Mind your head ... it’s coming over .... 🥔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh