Forum home Problem solving

Unknown pest

This happened a while back now but not sure what to do about it or whether it will go away on its own? Made me think about nematodes and whether that would be a good idea?

• SarahFSarahF Posts: 22

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    That looks like adult vine weevil damage. I’ve used nematodes successfully in similar circumstances. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    That looks like typical adult vine weevil damage.  Does anything else nearby have similar shaped notches in the edges of the leaves?  It's getting a bit cool for vine weevil nematodes but is certainly wet enough, so I think I'd give them a try if the problem is more widespread.  Otherwise, I'd dig that clump up, wash all soil from the roots and plant it somewhere else.  Then turn over the soil where it was and pick-out any C-shaped white grubs (which eat plant roots.)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Yes there are other plants near by with the odd notches out of but not as bad as this
    If I apply nematodes will I be able to leave plant in current location?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    SarahF said:
    If I apply nematodes will I be able to leave plant in current location?
    Yes, they just need to be watered over the whole area, preferably when the soil is already wet from rain.  If more rain is forecast afterwards, even better.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thank you, off to garden centre. Any particular brand?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    edited October 2019
    Usually bought online as they have a short shelf life. There are quite a few uk suppliers

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    As long as the soil temperature is above 5 degrees, the nematodes will work so you should be fine for a while. Online is probably your best bet, they come with a use by date and you can store them in the fridge until you're ready to use them. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    You may find you'll have to do it again in spring. Keep a look out for the grubs too - they're quite distinctive. Here's a wee link - hope you've had your lunch  ;)

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=234
    The grubs are readily eaten by many birds, so you can put them out somewhere for them if you feel inclined  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....