Forum home Tools and techniques

Leaf mold container

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    @Posy, thanks for that, it look very impressive and jolly useful. Wish I'd thought of it before building our new one. Will have to see if we can adapt it next year.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,541
    @Posy, that is very nice container.

I havent got any good space to keep one out of sight and no diy skills to build one like that. Any idea if I can re purpose my green wheelie bin as leaf mould container instead of bin bags? I dont have enough floor space to keep many bin bags on ground. If I drill holes in green wheelie bin, can I store leaves in it for making leaf mould?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    I expect you could do that @newbie77, but I think they would take a long time. It would be worth running a mower over them beforehand, and making sure they're damp before putting them in it. 
    If you don't feel you could make something too hefty, you could simply do chicken wire round canes - you could thread the canes through the wire, or some lightweight battens knocked into the ground with chicken wire attached. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I think you would be ok with the wheelie bin, newbie. As F G says, make them damp and mash them up if you can. It's rather a slow process but worth it.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,541
    thank you. problem is i have very little space and i already have two wjheelie bins standing where i intend to put leaf mould storage. If i drill couple of holes at bottom and side would that be good enough? 

i have ordered a leaf vac thing to shred leaves. my mower isnt great anyway and lawn so is so wet that mower kept clogging. i have raked and stored leaves in a corner, ready to vacuum. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    @Posy - love your leaf bin!  Can I find out a bit more about it, please?  How tall is it?  Does the top just lift off for adding more leaves?  Is it set into the ground, or can you move it about?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Hang on, I'll have to ask the handyman  he's not here at the moment!
    The leaf bin is a frame made of 3"x3" timber, about 6' tall. The uprights are set in met posts to reduce rot . All the timber is secured by screws and metal braces. There are 3 openings, though you can only see one in the photo. The lower ones are made from another frame attached to a cross bar by galvanized hinges and held at the bottom by bolts on both sides. They open UP and are held up by a hook and eye arrangement. At the top on one side another frame opens DOWN to allow me to add leaves. The top is covered with plastic mesh held by cup-hooks which can be pushed back when it gets too full for any other approach. A stiff plastic mesh is stapled to the frame and the inner frames because chicken wire or light mesh bulges too much.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    @newbie77, if your bins are council ones, they belong to the council who would probably take a dim view of holes being drilled in the bottom and sides. Just a thought!