Forum home Tools and techniques

Leaf mold container

I recommend 8 x 4 meld mesh kept together at the corners with cable ties, I have several.
can also be used to protect raised beds, easily disassembled, and reusable 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,272
    We just use old compost bags.  Gives them a second, third and 4th life.....  Stack them out of sight while the leaves break down.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,368
    Sounds good AWB.

I use those types of panels for annual and other lightweight climbers such as Grp 3 clematis on fences where i dont want permanent supporting wires. Panels are tied on at the start of the growing season and removed about now when the foliage is cut back.

Builders’ one tonne dumpy bags are used for leaves. For some reason we have a little collection of them and it’s a good way to repurpose something that would otherwise go to landfill. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,102
    A cylinder of chicken wire held upright by four long bamboo canes. Minimalist and easily dismantled.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421
    I'm heavy handed, chicken wire never stays in shape ,bamboo snaps,my weldmesh looks neater which suits me.
    I love weld mesh too but for trellis and fencing cos it's strong, almost invisible and can bear the weight of pumpkins, trained cane fruits, roses and clems.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FoxiesFoxies Posts: 60
    Obelixx said:
    We just use old compost bags.  Gives them a second, third and 4th life.....  Stack them out of sight while the leaves break down.
    @Obelixx - do you put holes in the bags and/or cover the tops to stop too much water getting in and being held? 
    We put in wet leaves or add water if they're dry then poke homes with the garden fork.  The bags are then stored under shelter in an open ended barn thingy so don't get wet again. 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,612

Although I’m using a dalek this season
  • FoxiesFoxies Posts: 60
    edited October 2019
    Obelixx said:
    We put in wet leaves or add water if they're dry then poke homes with the garden fork.  The bags are then stored under shelter in an open ended barn thingy so don't get wet again. 
    @Obelixx Thank you ... I now need an open ended barn thingy ...  ;)
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,779
    I find that leaves at the bottom of the heap are ready before those at the top so my husband made a wooden frame with a hinged section at the bottom on one side all covered with chicken wire. It means I can add leaves for two or three years, removing composted material at any time I want. It has lasted for ages, keeps everything tidy and is really useful.