Forum home Fruit & veg

Old apple trees

hi, we inherited an old orchard with a few very old apple trees in them. We would like to keep them rather than turn them into logs however they have this all over them ( see photos attached please ) Is this treatable and also from the pictures any idea what the apples might be please, from 2 different trees, thank you

• Or do you mean the lichen?
  • Hi Pansyface, thanks for your reply - no I'd like to know what the green all over the branches and how can I treat it? They are lovely old trees and I am loathe to take them out
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    The lichen on your trees is not a disease or a problem so can and should be left well alone.

Old apple trees can often be neglected and need some rejuvenation pruning and treatment.  Have a look at this video from the RHS to see how to proceed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aj6fUcaXSE

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • yep - don't stress about the lichen. As obelixx say's the tree would benefit from a restorative prune which will help bring some light and air into the mix and improve the look of it. don't take too much off at once though - no more than 20%.
  • Thank you very much for the advice you have given to me,I will certainly take it on board. Can I just ask, does anyone have an idea as to what the variety of apples may be from the photographs that I have added ?although I admit they aren't the best pictures I've ever taken
  • Thankyou Pansy, the description certainly matches the photograph so we'll go with that! it does make a lovely pie so we'll does as has been suggested and give it a bit of a trim,looking at them I would doubt they've had any remedial treatment for many a year 
  • Thank you!