Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog igloo

we are going to install a hedgehog igloo this weekend. We have got some hay and leaves to put inside but I’m not sure if we should be putting the igloo on some sort of base. We have got some left over pond liner that we could use as a base, or should we just put it straight onto ground? Thanks in advance.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,647
    edited October 2019
    Personally l would put it straight on to the ground  :)
    When you say "igloo", is the entrance quite a long tunnel so that any predators cannot reach inside ?
    If it's like the one in the photo in the attached link, l'd be worried. 
    https://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/Information/149/About_Hedgehogs.html
  • Thank you for your reply the igloo is like the one attached to this link. https://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/product/igloo-hedgehog-house/
    I would see if you can construct some kind of tunnel, maybe using bricks or a piece of drainpipe , something to prevent foxes or badgers getting their paws inside. Even if you don't have either in your area, it's also a way of diverting the colder air and keeping the warmth in, if you see what l mean.
    Have a look at this link, there are some comments under "Build a hedgehog home" about adding a tunnel or dividing wall.  :)
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/hedgehog-homes/
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,176
    Unless the igloo is firmly fixed to a substantial base surely it will be easy for a fox to turn it over and get at the inside.  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That's a good point Dove. Ours is wedged under trees at the side of a fence, is made of wood, and has bricks on the top just in case. It depends where @Crazyfroglady is going to place it, but if every precaution is taken, it should be okay :)
  • Thanks for all your replies! We are going to put it at the side of the fence in the undergrowth it’s very sheltered . We did read that you can use tent pegs for added security so that’s something we can do along with making a tunnel. 
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,062
    AnniD said:
    That's a good point Dove. Ours is wedged under trees at the side of a fence, is made of wood, and has bricks on the top just in case. It depends where @Crazyfroglady is going to place it, but if every precaution is taken, it should be okay :)
    At one of our feeding sites the hogs and foxes eat either together or within minutes of one another. 
  • we put a poo I’d post up and we were told it was hedgehog poo we were thrilled 😆. We have now in installed a cheap wildlife camera and set up a feeding station and sure enough we get a hedgehog visiting every night. We are not sure if it’s just one that visits but he/ she goes to the feeding station about 4 times during the night. It’s so exciting looking at the video the following evening.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,062
    edited October 2019
    Great news @Crazyfroglady make sure you put a bowl of water out too. Ours generally spend as much time drinking as they do eating, especially if you are feeding dried food. 
    I know just what you mean !