Mushrooms🍄 2019

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,687
    And of course, there are some fungi that are ok to eat ... unless you take alcohol with them ... and if you do that the mixture may kill you. 🤮😱
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 702
    And of course, there are some fungi that are ok to eat ... unless you take alcohol with them ... and if you do that the mixture may kill you. 🤮😱
    That would be from Coprinus variety. For example Shaggy Ink Cup. You can't drink alcohol while you eating and 24 h after. It won't kill you, but stomach cramps and nausea are guaranteed. Btw, it's delicious mushroom. I took this photo last year.

Oh yes ... I love Shaggy Ink Caps ... but I think Wood Blewits and Giant Puffballs are my favourites of the ones we get in the areas where I can forage. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Wood Blewits don't grow in my area but Giant Puffballs does. This one is on meadow near my cottage.

Oooh I love them ... sliced, dipped in beaten egg and breadcrumbs and fried in butter ... the food of the gods 😋 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,059
    Hi @Ante30 👋 Interesting thread with some lovely pictures. 🙂

How did you start your oyster mushrooms? Did you buy a log impregnated (already sown) with the spores or did you introduce the spores yourself?
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    I prepared logs myself, only bought mushrooms micelle on wooden caps. First i drilled a holes in logs (25 cm space between every hole) and buried logs half meter in soil. Then I put wooden caps in the holes with tweezers, keep it moist and that is it.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,059
    Thanks Ante - I might have to have a go at that myself next year - we're taking down a couple of trees so I'll have some decent size logs.

I guess you bought the micelle from the internet? Going to have a look to see which varieties I could grow...🙂
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    You must choose wood carefully. Conifer and oak are not the best choice because mushrooms will have bad taste. Beech or ash are the best.
    Yes, I bought micelle an internet.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Never got round to doing a pic of the mushrooms, but I did find the frog. He was hiding under the hog house  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....