Forum home The potting shed

Gardening quotes / sayings

• Thank you! These are great  :)
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Not gardening but I always remember my nan having a sign hanging in her bathroom. Flush the chain before you rise, then you'll get a cool surprise 🚻🆒
  • One years seeds, seven years weeds.......
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,017
    I think I have a good one from Cicero as my signature (can't see it as I access the forum from my phone 99% of the time). 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Not gardening but I always remember my nan having a sign hanging in her bathroom. Flush the chain before you rise, then you'll get a cool surprise 🚻🆒
    On water saving:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow;
    If it's brown, flush it down."
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,400
    Chinese saying "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.  The 2nd best time is now."

Gertrude Jekyll "The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies." and "A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust."

Audrey Hepburn "To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow."

Anon "Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes."

"You can't buy happiness but you can buy plants and that's pretty much the same thing."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,967
    I’ve just remembered this from my days, half a century ago, studying A level history

”A dictator is like a beech tree - magnificent in its prime but under which nothing grows” Stanley Baldwin
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 327
    Happiness blooms where seeds of love and joy are planted-Not sure who wrote it. Came across it as a pin
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 327
    Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. -Marcel Proust