Gardening quotes / sayings

Hello.

I'm putting together a photo album/scrap book and want to include favourite gardening quotes/sayings. Along with pictures from my garden. Just for personal use...would you mind sharing yours with me?

Thank you 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 888
    “If only you were here last week ....”

”It takes an honest man to grow parsley”

”A cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education” Mark Twain

Marjoram boiled in water “easeth such as are given to much sighing” John Gerard

“A cucumber should be well sliced and dressed with pepper and vinegar and then thrown out as good for nothing.” Dr Johnson

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,480
    On sowing peas and beans:

"One for the pigeon, one for the crow,
    One to rot, and one to grow."
  • Weed it and reap.
  •  “any garden, no matter how small, should have at least five acres of woodland”
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    One my grandad used to say. Protect your hands when pulling stingers, lay some gloves upon your fingers 😌😌
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,110
    A client of mine gave me this gift .

It needs a bit of a polish, Soz!!

My elder daughter sent me this card:

Devon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 888
    A neighbour complained to her gardener he had trimmed the ivy too vigorously. “Don’t worry,” he said, “it will grow again like billy goats.”
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,108
    Those are great @BenCotto. I particularly like the Dr Johnson and Mark Twain ones  :D

I have nothing worthwhile to add apart from 'a bird in the hand is....often dead'....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,909
    Every spring my mother, when approaching the solid clay that was her remorseless and unforgiving enemy for fifty years, would address the first sod with the words from Julius Caesar.

”O pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth...”
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    pansyface said:
    Every spring my mother, when approaching the solid clay that was her remorseless and unforgiving enemy for fifty years, would address the first sod with the words from Julius Caesar.

”O pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth...”
    Solid clay is difficult to work with especially for ladies, It's a shame really. My Birmingham soil is lovely I'm lucky