Forum home Problem solving

Red robin

Why is my red robin, about 5 years old, so leggy and not bushy.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    I think they often look terrible. It can depend enormously on your growing conditions and climate, as well as the site they're in.
    The only decent one I've ever seen round here is right across from me. It has a south west location, is right up against their house -well tucked in, but gets all the rain it needs to keep a good balance. 

Every other one I see looks hideous.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Hello @dianasully20, welcome to the forum  :)
    It may be leggy as it hasn't been pruned, l usually trim my "Little Robin" back a bit around the beginning of June which makes it bush out, l think the same principle would apply to the larger version. 
    Fair bit of info here

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/shrub/photinia-red-robin.php
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Fairygirl said:
    I think they often look terrible. It can depend enormously on your growing conditions and climate, as well as the site they're in.
    The only decent one I've ever seen round here is right across from me. It has a south west location, is right up against their house -well tucked in, but gets all the rain it needs to keep a good balance. 

Every other one I see looks hideous.
    Maybe it's the colder Scottish weather that makes them look hideous. There are some chucked in by the council in birmingham that I highly doubt are ever watered or pruned that look bright red and fantastic. Maybe it's a weather thing 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    if well pruned  they are a lovely addition to the garden. I have a standard Red Robin here in Scotland and it is far from hideous but as Marc said, they do adapt well to various conditions and a certain amount of neglect.

Is your plant in the ground or in a pot @dianasully20? If it's in a pot then it might benefit from repotting after 5years.
    SW Scotland
    if well pruned  they are a lovely addition to the garden. I have a standard Red Robin here in Scotland and it is far from hideous but as Marc said, they do adapt well to various conditions and a certain amount of neglect.

Is your plant in the ground or in a pot @dianasully20? If it's in a pot then it might benefit from repotting after 5years.

• Thanks purplerain, it is actually in the ground and gets sun at the top for most of the day..Too late  to prune it now I’m thinking. I live in Essex.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    Have you got a photo @dianasully20? They can often just die back too, without rhyme or reason. Depending on it's site, it may also have been reaching for light, which can cause a bit legginess, or if there are other plants round it lower down, the bottom can get a bit bare. An exposed site can also cause problems.
    I'd also guess that where you are, the ground is pretty dry, so it may have got beyond recovery if it's been very dehydrated  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

The ones I mentioned in Birmingham City centre are on a central reservation of a main road so I'd probably throw out the exposed site bit