Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lovely visitor to the garden today !

PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
What a lovely surprise I had today while doing some tidying in the Autumn sunshine......a humming bird moth, it stayed for ages taking the nectar from the verbena, I thought it was a bit late in the year but he/she seemed very happy in the warm sun :)

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,634
    Something I have never seen. How lovely.😁
  • @Pennypitstop @purplerallim Saw my first one in the garden a couple of weeks ago and managed to get a photo through the kitchen window. Obviously they like verbena!
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    How lovely, they are fascinating to watch, yes good old verbena it goes on and on flowering and the bees and butterflies love it :) Apparently Humming Bird moths come over from the South of France in spring ! 
  • Well, I didn't know that - what a long journey for such a fragile looking insect. Verbena is great value - apart from the bees and butterflies, I find the goldfinches love feeding on the seed heads over the winter. What a winner!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,482
    I love watching them too. We get a lot here. The shrubby agastache is their favourite, and as there are so e planted by our patio we can sit and watch them feeding. Never managed to get a decent photo though!