Forum home Problem solving

My grass looks like I've got allowed cows to trample it

I seeded my garden early last year. Was all good with one dog, this year with 2 dogs it's bad. Next April or so, I'll have to reseed it as it's now very patchy and probably 35% mud showing. I also had a patch of around a meter square where it just water clogs  is also shaded  I'll be sorting that as my dogs have made that around 3 meter square mud patch. 

So my what are my best options thickly seed it next year, turf it or a recommended idea from one of you guys? Cheers

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,848
    Sort out the drainage and keep the dogs off it seems like the best plan.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • kev vankev van Posts: 113
    Sort out the drainage and keep the dogs off it seems like the best plan.
    Sadly wild edges my partner won't go with that. I've already tried
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,848
    Ah. Dogs are easy to train. Partners... not so much. :|
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Apply the same principles ... reward the behaviour you want repeated 🍰 💐 🥂 🍫 🏖 😇 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You won't get it decent if the dogs are going to use it. It sounds like 2 dogs is more than the balance your lawn can handle. Putting effort in is likely to be wasted.

Adapt the lawn area to suit the situation... mulch, bark, stone chips, astroturf etc would be better.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    Have you tried getting dog poo off artificial  grass😱
    best thing would be to pave it then you can hose it down.  You can put some big tubs there if you want some flowers through the summer. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Shoes for the dogs?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Sounds like it would need to be wellies @Tin pot ;)
    I'd agree - dogs and wet grass don't work, unless you have a very large garden and can confine them to one bit. A different surface is the best option.
    You're on a hiding to nothing with the current situation @kev van :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    I'm in the same boat...it's lovely in the warm summer months, but come autumn and winter it turns into a bog. We've had a load of topsoil replaced there to fix compaction issues and while the borders are now doing great, the grass can't hold up. We have three dogs by the way...I'm thinking we will rework the area, sans grass, as it just doesn't work there. We have another area of grass which is fine, not amazing during the rainy months, but liveable so we'll just have that be our little bit of lawn. I think as the others have said it's better to find something that works with the dogs.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,970
    This comes up a lot in the greyhound groups I'm in on Facebook! Artificial turf works very well for most people. Personally I just avoid letting my boy in the garden unsupervised