Forum home The potting shed

Pieris flame red losing leaves

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,314
    Ah - it's possibly waterlogged then. The variegated ones are less tough, but if you can rectify the drainage, it might recover. Make sure it has a soil based medium too, not compost alone. It doesn't need to be acidic, just not alkaline. Neutral soil is fine for them. It might need a wee prune next year, but see if it recovers in the next month or two    :)
    It did look as if some of the foliage was reverting too, but I couldn't make up my mind from the pix. That's not really anything to worry about just now though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

•  I've taken it out of the blue tub and the amount of water that was in it was not funny. Let's hope it dries out successfully 🤔
  • Now problem no 2. Miniature weeping willow looking very sad is this normal at this time of year. It ionly bought it this year. 3 photos uploaded. One was taken during the summer
    edited October 2019
    It's normal for them to drop their foliage, but they like lots  of water, so they can take a smuch as you can give it.
    Is that a metal pot it's in? That won't be great for it, as it will heat up too much in summer. It's be fine just now, but it's worth getting it into something better next year  :)
    Meant to say - as your balcony has a smooth floor, put the Pieris pot up on something to help it drain. Doesn't have to be proper pot feet, anything will do - blocks of timber, bits of brick etc. 

• I do have the pieris on top of a wooden plank for drainage 😁. The weeping willow is in a cement pot not metal. Is this ok?
  • Sorry I meant to add, do I need to do anything with the willow- like cutting it back? Or do I just leave it alone
    That should be ok @isabelle_jones. I was concerned that it was metal, which can be tricky  :)
    Some people prune back their willows, but they often look terrible because they hack them right round about half way up - like a giant mushroom.Much better to trim individual stems, and keep a looser shape, but it's not necessary unless they're getting too overgrown. 

• Ok great, thanks again 😁
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    edited October 2019
    If you want your willow in a mushroom shape then so be it despite other peoples opinion on that. (Did you even suggest that)? They need lots of room to grow though and they grow fast. I had to employ a tree surgeon to remove the little stick I had.  Maybe an Acer or something slow growing would be better in a pot. 
    SW Scotland
  • Yea that's another option I guess. Didn't think of it. Thanks purple rain