Pieris flame red losing leaves

I have this plant in a large container for years. I live in Ireland  Just now the leaves are going yellow and dropping off. Any ideas? Also should it be pruned, if so how and when. Thanks in advance for any comments

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,021
    Hi @isabelle_jones - has it ever had the soil changed? Has it been well watered through dry spells? How big a container? Is it in a lot of sun?

These are all factors. They prefer a shady spot, and don't tend to do well long term in contianes unless they have adequate care. Have you got a pic? 

You can certainly prune, but it's best to find the cause of, and rectify, the leaf drop first :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hmm yea I have repotted last year into a bigger pot and added new compost. I believe it is well watered and it is  in a South west position. It's too dark now but will upload a photo tomorrow. Thank you for replying
    That will certainly help @isabelle_jones  :)
    Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

• Hi again I have now attached 2 photos
    A couple of things - I see it's on a balcony. Wind can cause damage to foliage very easily, as can too much sun. A combination of those is especially damaging. I see it's also the variegated one - variegated plants are always more susceptible to climactic conditions. 
    More worryingly - it seems to be inside another planter - a trug. How does the water drain away?

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Lovely balcony 👍👍
  • When you say you potted it up last year, is that when the trouble began? You don't say what you used, but they prefer acid conditions, so ericaceous compost from garden centres is best. If that's what you used then I don't know what to suggest apart from a larger pot @isabelle_jones.
    SW Scotland
  • Hi again. Fairy girl I thought that myself about the trug. I will remove it and hope that helps. Thanks for the compliment Birmingham Marc . Purple rain, I did use the correct compost so that's not the issue. Thanks everyone for your comments