Forum home Wildlife gardening

Gravel Front garden to Wild Flowers

13»

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,427
    Thanks all.

This soil had been under flagstones for @ 20 years and then under my membrane and gravel for 15 more

I added the manure to introduce some worms as they were none when I loosened the top 2 inches.

They have 5 months to do some worming about and as suggested carry on loosening the top soil
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,481
    I certainly wouldn't plant tulips in an area that waterlogs. Even the tough ones like the Apeldoorns won't appreciate that for long.

I think you might have been better leaving a small layer of gravel on there @NewBoy2. Lots of things would germinate in that alone. A layer of sandy grit on top of it, to work in over the winter, would have made a good seed bed for lots of things to get a hold. 
    I still have plenty of the corncockles if you want me to send some in late winter/early spring.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl

I will take your advice this week and look at grit. I have a helpful local GC that I rely on

Just back from Conwy North Wales

Thanks FG

Fairygirl.

Sent you a message yesterday.

I have a video of my front garden with your corncockles if you want me to send it to you by the messaging system.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,674
    My seeds always blew next door and flowered beautifully in next door's south facing gravel garden, but never in mine. She never did anything to improve fertility at all.
    The gravel has gone from next door and I don't bother with seeds.
    In London. Keen but lazy.