Gravel Front garden to Wild Flowers

For numerous reasons I have had a membrane and Golden Gravel covering my front garden
for ease of maintenance for 12 years.

I have removed the gravel and a neighbour up the road is taking the 30 bags off me.

There are 5 bands 2 foot wide that I am just sowing with 8 types of flowers and some 10 Snake Head Fritillaries in one corner which I have lusted after when Monty plants them.

Grasses will be planted just inside the front wall so the passers by can touch them.

I have just realised this sounds a bit "fluffy" but I like the plan.
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Sounds good @NewBoy2. I'm  doing a tiny little bit in the front garden too. Just right down at the front hedge where the grass is pretty rubbishy anyway. It already has clover etc growing, so I've been busy faffing with it and getting it ready for seeds etc.
    I've been collecting from wildflowers nearby while I'm out, and if nothing else, I may have a good meadow growing in my pockets  :D

I bought some corncockle seeds recently, and the sown ones have already sprouted. There's loads, so if you want some PM me and I can pop a wee bundle in the post  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    Fairygirl..Not so fast..........where I come from in Deepest Somerset thats a Dowry !!

I will PM later

Just planted the 10 Snakes Head bulbs so its coffee time.
    Sent you a PM...............not Boris ******Johnson
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    Sounds good, but I would have kept the gravel (minus the membrane) and just mixed it up a little with the soil, to create a lean soil for the wildflowers.
    Mmmm......hadnt thought of that.

It was 3 inches deep all over

The instructions said .." Remove all stones from the area and rake it thoroughly.

The soil had been under flag stones for over 30 years so I have yet to excavate.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
    It sounds lovely. I think its great that so many people are adding wild flowers to their gardens.  :)
    Saw your PM - no probs @NewBoy2
    Don't think there's much chance of BoJo messaging me - I'm a bit too old for him  :D

I'd think the soil will be fairly poor after being under the gravel for so long. Always worth a go anyway, and you can always make it 'less good' over time by just neglecting it, and maybe adding a bit of grit or sand. 

WillDB

https://www.decorativegardens.co.uk/honey-stone-chippings-8-15mm.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInI2fwYCj5QIVmK3tCh3KKgEUEAQYAyABEgIefvD_BwE

I think I should loosen the top 2 inches of the compacted soil and mix in some of the above before sowing.

Using your past experiences what do you think Bill ?
    fairyGirl........thanks for the Wee Bundle....came today.
    Hope they're fine for you @NewBoy2 :)