Forum home Wildlife gardening

we have bats

Christian3Christian3 Elland, West YorkshirePosts: 12
Hi,

We bats in the soft evening but that's not the issue; we garden is a large expanse and we always get "drifting" hedgehogs. I've taken 2 so far down to the local vet (after watering/feeding overnight). We are clearly a "hog" hotspot" and i want to provide a safe feeding safe from foxes (we have those also, running through). Best C 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,045
    forgive my stupidity, but what are " drifting hedgehogs" and why do they need a vet?
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,116
    A feeding station with a tunnel type access will keep foxes out.
    I'm slightly confused by that sentence too @Hostafan1. Is it a missprint or auto correct or something @Christian3?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    i'm guessing its an auto correct, unless the bats really are in the soft evening (maybe was supposed to say soffits or eves)
  • Could be someone with ................ how do i write this without upsetting folks, my english is poor too.   Could the poster be Polish or some other nationality doing his / her best.   I bought some seeds on eBay from someone in Poland, they came with hand written letter, instructions on when and what to do.   I couldn't make any sense out of it (It was all written in English but with wrong words here and there), i know someone who is Polish, showed them the letter and the info was deciphered.
  • here's just one line of text in a half A4 page of instructions.......

"Seeds are high in pots in the house superficially, do not cover the seeds with soil: spinkle with water daily; the part guts, maybe not a bit; those who are gnawing move to the ground"  !!!!!

My Polish friend soon deciphered the instructions.
  • AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 240
    Quite curious what the deciphered instructions were 🤔.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,225
    If it's a hedgehog feeding station you're after @Christian3 , have a look here as well

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/feed-hedgehogs/
  • Christian3Christian3 Elland, West YorkshirePosts: 12
    Evening all,

"drifting hedgehogs" - we see on the lawns during the daytime; take them in, feed/water and pass down to the vet. On several occasions of "white sacks" in the earlobes; they have been infected by fly larve - which use the host as a womb (quite unfortunate for the hogs). 

I've built up a hog station and feeding station (thank you respondents), so they are not attracted towards the pond. However, the hover flies take care the flying - so where are these hogs coming from? 

Hedgehog Hospital open! (A and E). 

Best C 
  • Christian3Christian3 Elland, West YorkshirePosts: 12
    Hexagon said:
    Plenty of hedgehog related advice here on the forum:
    Add some pictures of your visitors if you can!

will do. it's all very new and I'm no gardener by interest but out of necessity. All the feedback from this forum has been 100% - thank you. Best C 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,225
    Difficult to answer your question as to where the hedgehogs are coming from to be honest .
    I would suggest investing in a wildlife/ trail camera and setting up in various locations over several days to see if you can solve the mystery. 
    It's worrying that you are seeing quite a few during the day, thanks for taking the time and trouble of taking them to the vet.  :)
    When your vet has finished treating them, l assume they are returned to your garden ?